Bit of a head scratcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit of a head scratcher

I have the exhaust on the B6D and I'm getting down to tuning. At first I was thinking I had the timing wrong, but it's dead on. Right now I only seem to have one problem, and it's a doozy. The #4 cylinder(closest to disty) isn't making power and is barely warming up.

When the engine failed before, the #4 bigend is the one that failed. The valves and plug got coated in oil and the plug wasn't cleaned(oops) before reassembly. I am using a 91 capri block and the old 92 capri head.

Here's what I know,
    I can smell gas in the exhaust.
    The idle is lopey, but regular.
    When I pull the #4 plug lead, there is little to no change. Pulling any other plug lead makes a big change.
    My timing light says #4 is getting spark.
    Compression(crank test) across cylinders is 170-165-165-175
    The spark plugs for #1, 2, and 3 are black and sooty, #4 looks good.
    The engine has been run for about an hour now, so I would expect any residue to be burned away.

I'm pretty boggled by this. My next test is to swap the plugs around and see if the problem follows the plug. If it isn't that, then I'm thinking it has to be fuel related. This doesn't really grok though because I'm smelling the gas in the exhaust.

Any ideas?

No change when moving the spark plug.
    The spark plug cable tests good too with just under 3k ohms.
    OX SMASH!!

Problem solved, and a big lesson learned. The fuel rail wasn't on tight and was leaking at #4 since it's closest to the regulator and the rail would see the highest pressure there. It's a good thing I noticed and it didn't cause a fire.

It's running smooth now, but still very low on power. I tried advancing the timing again and it seemed to help. I need to file on the distributor more before I can be sure that is all that's left.

Before I drive it again it's going on the stands and I am going to recheck the torque on everything, top to bottom. But first, time for lunch. My tech inspection is tommorow morning, so I'm expecting to be up all night finishing things up. Getting the engine running smoothly is a HUGE weight off my mind.
    OX SMASH!!

Comment

Working...
    X