Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GM25R removal question, well, it's really for all FF trans.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM25R removal question, well, it's really for all FF trans.

What do I put in the places where the CV axel goes to keep the spider gears from moving and me having to tear the trans apart to place them back? Is there a special piece that I can get at the parts stores or what? This is my first time removing a transmission with the intent of putting it back in.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

I have had my tranny removed twice and I moved it around the garage both times,I never left the axle's or anything on..Everything was in its place!!!
    06 vw Bora
    09 Nissan Versa
    fastest B6T is back!!!
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/785928

Comment

I've used a couple of pieces of heater hose that I had lying around before. A chunk of dowel the proper size will also work. Nothing special is needed, just something around the size of the axle to keep things in place. Good luck.
      1991 L 408,000 miles+ w/NEW B3 longblock!!
      2008 Nissan Versa S HB

Comment

I've also never had a problem with my transmission in the 4-5 times I've had it out of the car.

If you want something in there, get an old axle and cut it so you have a couple inches sticking out of the tranny. Attach a nice loop on there so you can grip it.
        OX SMASH!!

Comment

I use the old green c/v ends. But I too have never had them drop, but have heard of many that have. So I don't chance it.

Comment

zip ties will work too, metal wire, ext....
            Ian Carr
            88' flat black festy, has an e-brake that works!
            99' S70 T5M- faster DD
            86' 951- almost ready for track season

My old b6t- wish i still had it
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2241793

Every car I have owned has had a turbo in it, until I bought this latest festiva.. I plan to fix that though.

Comment

Originally posted by xpnsyd
              I use the old green c/v ends.
              That's what I use, too. I take the cir clip off the end so I don't have to fight to get it in and out. You only need to put something in one side to stop the spiders from rotating out. And yes, I've had 2 transmissions that I had to take apart to put the spiders back in position. One, I have no idea how they fell out but the other I do know. I had both axles pulled, the transmission was in gear, and I was using the starter to spin the engine to check the compression.
              You gonna race that thing?
              http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Thanks I'll just stuff some kittens in there. Or whatever else is laying around.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

I had them rotate on the GTX's BPT trans. I was lucky and got them to roll back into position but on the fwd trans they can drop. Use an old axle, zip tie, wire, broom stick.....

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
                  BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
                  BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
                  New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

I used old axles stubs that the JY torched off.
                    It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Old broomstick ends for me. Held in place with duct tape.

Karl
                      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I can't pull my G25MR out of my Festiva without pulling the engine bolted to it, so while the transmission is being moved around, it still has the intermediate shaft holding the gears in place.

Oh yeah, I have a Phantom Grip too... which should hold the gears in place as well!
                        * Retired Festiva-er*
                        1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
                        B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

Comment

Working...
                        X