Alternative radiator fan idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative radiator fan idea

Our electric fans and bracket/surrounds are kinda heavy and clunky, IMO.

My idea is to use an Aspire A/C condensor fan to replace the Festiva radiator fan. The Aspire A/C fan I pulled appears to be a bit larger than its Festiva A/C fan counterpart, but is still a smaller diameter than the Festiva radiator fan. The surround is made primarily of plastic so it's also lighter than the all metal radiator fan assembly.

If it was wired up to the thermoswitch (or wired to a manual switch), and mounted on the front of the radiator (that's the way the flow goes, just like on the A/C condensor), do ya'll think it would work okay?

I seem to have gotten away with no fan at all for much of my Festiva driving. I don't recall the Mutt's fan ever working, and for much of my driving Luxstiva, the fan was off as well. I only had heating up issues on real hot days. I think the A/C condensor fan idea may work well enough.

Whaddaya think?

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

This sounds like a good idea. I may try this on the little blue, since I'm getting ready to pull the A/C from the silver most likely and the cooling fan in the little blue is needing a complete rewiring anyway. It should also give me a little more clearance between the shroud and exhaust manifold as well, since I only have about 3/8" right now. If I do it first, I'll let you know how it turns out, and if you get to it first, you let me know? sound like a plan?
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Yep, sounds like a plan!

I was also thinking that when I'm in the 'yard next, I'll look for even larger electric fans off other cars. I need to make some measurements of the Festiva and Aspire A/C fans compared with the stock fan. Then get measurements from any other potential fans at the 'yard.

I'm hoping to recreate the effect of those lighter, compact and expensive aftermarket cooling fans at a "junkyard" price.

I also want to measure weights too, to see how much I'm lightening my front ends!

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
      X