• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ev Stiva

Has has anyone seen this yet??
    *1992 Sport "Beauty" and 1989 L "Beast"

whoa! that's a who lot of batteries. :lol:

Comment

Why didn't they remove the exhaust pipe??

B
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought."

Comment

Let's see...

Slower car
        Shorter range
        Bigger electric bill

$5,500.00?

You can keep it.
        Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
        '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
        '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

thats what I thought, definitely not worth 5,500!!
          *1992 Sport "Beauty" and 1989 L "Beast"

Comment

I'd give them $200 for that Festy considering how clean it is, providing they didn't screw up the engine bay too much...
            White '89L auto - Sold!
            Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

I've been considering making a festiva EV. The axles are nice and strong and there is plenty of room for batteries. I would go 144v and a much bigger motor though.

$5500 isn't that bad for that. There's probably $5500 worth of parts there, and almost everything is brand new.
              OX SMASH!!

Comment

I wonder what the dollar per mile value is with a car like that. I bet with the cost of charging it, and initial high purchase cost, the savings would be minimal. Most not likely not worth the hassle of only being able to go 50 miles on a charge, and slow speeds.
                89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
                RIP 90LX

Comment

For the short term, it ain't worth it.

For a very long term, which is possible, it may be worth it.

If you had solar and wind power to help recharge the batteries, then it would be worth it. However, getting the solar and wind power is costly at first, too!

He also says near the end, "Additional $1,000 onto cost if wanting to make it a hybrid." Hmm. I wonder what he has in mind? Hybrid drivetrains are quite complicated. There is a generator/motor available which he might be thinking about, that costs about that much. But it's not really a "hybrid" as such. Just gives you charging capability on braking to recover some energy. Then again, maybe he has a little gas powered generator in mind...

Karl
                  '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                  '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                  '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                  '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                  '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

The only way I'd buy that is if gas prices got to be outrageous (more so than they are) and I needed an "Alternative Fuel Vehicle". But, if it came to that, I'd build an alcohol fueled Festiva instead. An ultra high compression BP on alky would run real good too.
                    Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                    '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                    '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

If I had the extra money laying around (ha!) I'd build one of those

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy
                        For the short term, it ain't worth it.
                        He also says near the end, "Additional $1,000 onto cost if wanting to make it a hybrid." Hmm. I wonder what he has in mind? Hybrid drivetrains are quite complicated. There is a generator/motor available which he might be thinking about, that costs about that much. But it's not really a "hybrid" as such. Just gives you charging capability on braking to recover some energy. Then again, maybe he has a little gas powered generator in mind...

Karl
                        An electric car with a generator is usually called a series hybrid. This is probably what he was referring to.

With the short range and charging time, this car would take a very long time to pay for itself. As a hybrid you would probably get worse milage than stock, and without the generator you can't possibly drive enough miles to pay it off quickly.
                        OX SMASH!!

Comment

Working...
                        X