650 revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 650 revisited

Before going to all the %^$#@!* trouble of swapping the 650 engine into my blue car (see the thread "650" for details), I'm going to do an experiment. No irreversible engine modifications at all; I've made two threaded tubes which fit in the spark plug holes. I'm going to put those in the two outside cylinders, and just disconnect the fuel injectors for those two as well. I already did a short test like this in order to satisfy myself that the engine would run smoothly before making the major changes to the other engine last winter (it did). But with these tubes (instead of open spark plug holes) I'll actually be able to drive the thing without everybody looking at me funny because of the noise. I'll connect rubber hoses to the tubes and point them down towards the ground, which should be fairly quiet. And even better than the actual two cylinder engine, this way, the two "dead" cylinders will still be drawing air through the VAF meter, which hopefully will make it so the two "live" ones get a proper amount of fuel. Stay tuned for test results (probably Saturday).

Thats kinda interesting, do you think that will be the same as the other engine? Or is it just close for testing?
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

the two dead cyl will only draw air through the VAF if there's a one way check valve in your tubes, otherwise, you'll draw air through the valve AND tube when the piston moves giving the ECU a false reading. try using the check valves that are used in brake boosters (like from a large truck to handle the volume).
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

OK, never mind. It runs, but it's drawing all kinds of unburnt gas from the intake manifold and squirting it out the tubes, still unburnt. And the gas/air coming out is way hotter than I expected too - I don't think rubber hoses would last long. Plus some kind of muffler would be required, 'cause it's loud! So all in all, scratch that idea :toothy5:

Comment

Originally posted by Dave G
          OK, never mind. It runs, but it's drawing all kinds of unburnt gas from the intake manifold and squirting it out the tubes, still unburnt. And the gas/air coming out is way hotter than I expected too - I don't think rubber hoses would last long. Plus some kind of muffler would be required, 'cause it's loud! So all in all, scratch that idea :toothy5:
          Valving the intakes for the 'dead' cylinders have been done on other
          engines to make air compressor output.

VeeDubs, Ford I-6 and V-8, many have done this.

Comment

Originally posted by mooseheadc
            Originally posted by Dave G
            Valving the intakes for the 'dead' cylinders have been done on other
            engines to make air compressor output.

VeeDubs, Ford I-6 and V-8, many have done this.
            I read somewhere that now someone is valving it, compressing it, and using it as forced induction. People are coming up with some funky ideas!

BMW stole my idea about using the exhaust heat to power a steam turbine. =( I knew I should have gotten a patent when I thought of it.

Why not block off the intake manifold going to the two dead cylinders?
            www.dantheoilman.com
            AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
            Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
            Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

He's trying to still draw in the same amount of air to fool the ecu into injecting the correct fuel into the other two cylinders......
              1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
              1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
              1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
              1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
              1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
              1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
              1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

Working...
              X