building up stock motor ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• building up stock motor ?

what kind of things could i do to kind of "build" up the stock motor ?

one thing im wondering about is camshafts ? i saw one on festiva motorsport , what would this do in my stock engine ? increase gas mpgs ? increase power ?

what about air intake systems , i noticed when i discconected the maf ( i think ) on the air box , the car wouldnt run for more than a few seconds , once plugged back in it ran perfect , i was thinking of re-routing the air intake to under the radiator , where there is a big open space in the bumper.

exhaust systems ? would a new 02 sensor help anything ? do they make an actual "header" or just a manifold ? what size exhaust tubing would you reccomend and what for a cat and muffler ? i wanna keep the car fairly quiet and dont want a ricey sound.

anythign else i can do to build up more hp and better fuel ecconomy from my little 93 festiva. thanks guys
    05 focus zx3 5spd 180k 2.5 inch mbrp exhaust , steeda sri and ford racing dynamic suspension

Drop the air box for a cone filter with adapter, not a cheap ebay one, but a K&N or something similar, the camshaft from FMS will give you alittle more power, but will sacrifice fuel mileage. Any time you add horsepower you will more than likely loose some MPG...so you need to pick which one you want more.

If you want to keep pretty close to your stock MPG and have more power get a B6 engine, it is one size up and will give you about 20 more horsepower

Comment

Id suggest the b6 swap too... quick, easy and 20+ HP with minimal changes
      Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

If your looking for a little more power but want to stay relatively close to stock go with the B6. You can get more power for less money doing the swap than you will trying to build a B3. Plus the B6 is very easy, if you're trying to get into doing work on cars I'd recommend it. It was the first motor swap I ever did and I did it in my driveway with just a basic ratchet set (really all you need is 10, 12, 14 and 17mm), a couple screwdrivers, and an engine hoist. Oh yeah, and the most important tool of all, this site! Couldn't have done it without these guys! And with my swap I actually didn't lose any gas mileage unless I was driving it hard (averaged around 42MPG). If ya got anymore questions, search the N/A engine swap forums and if you don't see an answer to your question there, just post it and we'll be there with answers
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

K&N sucks.

www.dantheoilman.com
          AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
          Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
          Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Originally posted by darkdan
            K&N sucks.
            In their defense, K&N does exactly what they say they do, they cause less restriction. Usually you won't see any extra power from this, just a small bump in throttle response. Unless you're living in the desert, the worse filtration won't make a big difference on the lifespan of the engine.

I agree that they suck just because they are overpriced. You can buy identical foam and make your own flat foam filter for $2-3.
            OX SMASH!!

Comment

[quote="darkdan"]K&N sucks.
              Hahaha!! Yes- they actually do suck!!!

For a quick response, i would say 'Intake and Exhaust'. So- air filter and a good set of pipes should get you started. Then look at porting, polishing, and things like plugs, leads, computer, coil packs etc etc etc. I mean 'where do you stop?'. You could literally spend thousands doing what we love most!

Comment

Originally posted by Gforcefd
                Drop the air box for a cone filter with adapter, not a cheap ebay one, but a K&N or something similar, the camshaft from FMS will give you alittle more power, but will sacrifice fuel mileage. Any time you add horsepower you will more than likely loose some MPG...so you need to pick which one you want more.

If you want to keep pretty close to your stock MPG and have more power get a B6 engine, it is one size up and will give you about 20 more horsepower
                Whats wrong with the cheap ones? So far I have went 13.5 on one and beat alot high HP cars. I see no differance in any of these.
                "Look, I have long hair, tats and smoke like a chimney.. All of my customers know it.. Don't like it? Don't turn over my rock."

RIP DJ

Comment

gone

"Superduder may or may not be a racist ..." -Pu241

WoW it's just orwelltastic here isn't it?

Comment

I would actually like to see how much power could be built in a 1.3. If it could get up around 80hp that would be cool!
                    Brian
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                    :fish:

Comment

I know in europe a guy running a Mazda 323 with the b3 init has well over 200hp. I think it is all N/A too. (In europe the 323 came with a b3 as well)
                      When all elce fails Duct-Tape provails

Comment

^^ Get any info on this that you can , please !!

It would be nice if you could get pics and some info .
                        ------------------------------------------------
                        The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                        Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                        HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                        Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                        Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                        Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                        Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                        90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                        It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Youtube it. They have a video.... they even have a video of it going aginst a subru impreza that has been tastfuly modified
                          When all elce fails Duct-Tape provails

Comment

Post a link , if you can please , I searched and found all kinds of B6T's and BPT's and GTX-GTR, video's but not that one .
                            ------------------------------------------------
                            The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                            Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                            HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                            Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                            Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                            Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                            Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                            90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                            It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

^ +1. a video would be very cool.

92l efi 240K+ stock

Comment

Working...
                              X