Clutchless shifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutchless shifting

I've discovered that I can change gears with pretty good accuracy without the clutch. It's to the point where I don't even use the clutch except for first.

Is this bad for the transmssion? It's like double clutching minus the clutch. And if I time it right the gears slip in really smoothly just like I used the clutch.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Been doing it for years. Saw a guy doing this in a 2 1/2t truck when I was in the army and when I went home that evening I jumped in my car and did it. It's nice when your eating and driving with your knee, you don't have to worry about pushing the clutch pedal and still have a free hand to shift with.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

If you don't shift at the exact time you'll screw up your synchros.
      * Retired Festiva-er*
      1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
      B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

Comment

Excellent!
        I suppose it saves wear and tear on the syncros and the clutch itself. I still have to perfect it, but I can shift with minimal grinding, often nothing more than a bit of a lurch.

I like it because all you have to worry about is one foot.

Downshifting is easy. I rev the engine and lightly push the stick into gear and it sort of drops into place when the revs are matched.

Regards,

Tim
        White '89L auto - Sold!
        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

???? wtf? Saves wear & tear?

Uhh..no..it will ALWAYS fuck up your synchros every time you shift. Hell, just doing it a few times can significantly fuck up your transmission. I hope you haven't been doing it long.
          Wil
          02' Sc00by WRX Sedan (current project)
          00' Celica GT Automatic 38mpg gas-sipper (sold)
          05' Scion xB box-on-wheels (sold)
          93' MX-3 Hybrid on LSD (sold )
          96' Slowtegé 42mpg Beast-mobile (engine exploded)
          93' B6-ZE 'tiva GL aka"Blue Bomber"(now owned by darpien)

Comment

Been doing it in every car I've had since 1988. Never lost a tranny. I don't shift like that all the time. Don't pull it out of gear under load and never force it into gear. When the syncros line up at the correct rpm the gears will slip together with no extra wear and tear.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
            BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
            BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
            New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Must agree with Matt. It's like using the clutch without using it, so your clutch last longer and some people look at you while in your car and doesn't understand how you do that!
              Is that a Festiva that just passed me?!?!?!

Comment

I don't always drive like this. I use common sense - I don't use excessive force to get it into gear and wouldn't try it if the car was loaded down.

But the transmissions in these cars are surprisingly tough. I've done driving that should've chewed up the transmission and yet it still shifts smoothly except for 2nd gear, which was already messed up when I bought the car.

Regards,

Tim
                White '89L auto - Sold!
                Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Do it right, it's a good thing.

Do it wrong....it's bad.

I never use my clutch on my motorcycle, but it's much easier to clutchless shift on it.

Tried it once on my aspire and was grinding gears, so I didn't try it a second time.
                  www.dantheoilman.com
                  AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
                  Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
                  Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Clutchless shifting is fine if done right it will cause no problems. You don't really need to do it on modern cars. But it's not a bad thing to know how to do.

I will match even when driving normal unless I'm in 1st I rarely push the clutch all the way in. Foot off throttle, half depress the clutch, match rpms to the gear, and go. That's not clutchless shifting it's just how I do drive. The syncros don't have to do anything I did all the work matching.

You should be able to shift with 2 fingers when doing it. When your first learning you can lightly (I mean very light) push/pull in the gear you want to get the feel for when things are lined up. Again that is just for learning after you get what rpms are need at what speed and for what gear you don't have to do it.

It's a useful skill to know. Every have a clutch go out? It's not fun. My RX-7's clutch when out 15 miles from home at about 3-4am. I still got home because I knew how to clutchless shift.

It's a Festiva they are cheap and easy to put in. My Festiva doesn't seem to mind doing it.
                    Quote from eBay
                    "with no knowlege of cars.he,armed only with the skills of an 18th century blacksmith,removed the front axles and wheel bearings,damaging both in the process"

Comment

Had the clutch go out in my semi one night outside of Reno. 2 hours up and down the mountains without a clutch...clutless shifting saved my butt. Ill tell you what I was way tired when I finally got to Reno. :sleepy1:
                      Those who think drifting through life is easy, never tried it in an FWD.

Comment

This is interesting

This is interesting, I've never heard of clutchless shifting in my life. Can someone tell me how to do it? I'm sure I wouldn't always do it, but I'm curious how the mechianics work.

People here are saying at the right RPM's can anyone explain this?

I know I'm able to pull the car out of gear without using the clutch, but I always thought that was bad somewhere or another.

If you guys are doing it, it should be simliar between all festiva's. So, tell us some numbers too.

How many RPM's does it need to be at? Is it the same for each gear? Let me know, I'm very curious about this. BTW, they don't teach you this skill anywhere, so I'd like to know from the experts whom done it before. Even when their clutch went out. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X