MSD Coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSD Coil

Those who are using an MSC coil, did you use the resistor thing? I was doing some searching and it seems most people didn't, but one person said that they burnt out there distributor by not using the resistor.
    89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
    RIP 90LX

I'm using the blaster2 as of now...i just saw a blaster3 at autobacs today
    ---------------------------------------------------
    The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
    ---------------------------------------------------
    BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Didn't and have had no problems w/it to speak of. I've had it for over 2 yrs.. Blaster 2 that is.. -Kyle
      Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

sweet, thanks for the info guys. the blaster 2 is what im looking at. i just gotta see if there aveable locally or if im gonna have to buy one online.

my stock coil is a rusty lump. the other day i plugged in a nice clean low mileage coil to test it before i shipped it to someone, and it made a noticeable difference. The car idled alot smoother and it seemed to have more snap when i took it around the block. Then when i plugged my coil back in it went back to the normal poor performance. So i figure what better excuse to upgrade
        89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
        RIP 90LX

Comment

I have the MSD Blaster 2 in the BP and it's pretty decent... I did not install the resistor. I picked mine up from AutoZone for $42.00.
          Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

hmm how much of a differacne does the blaster 2 do for the car? any hp gaines? or just better spark?
            1993 B6T swapped Festiva- Reich raceing ECU, Cork Sport down pipe, MBC for now, Capri Tranny. sold

1993 BBF 466cid mustang notch 7.7 ltre
            festiva turbo b18 project
            2001 BMW 325i
            1996 ford F-150 sold

Comment

Hi, I'm a newbie to this forum...my first post. Here is some more coil info.

Accel coils are a known issue, as are some MSDs. I've had a bad Accel, a bad MSD, and a bad Pertronix. The problem is that some of these coils are made in Taiwan and Mexico and there are quality issues. Some are still made in the states, certain MSDs I think.

I bought a coil from Jegs ( www.jegs.com ) 1-800-345-4545, part # 555-40105, made in the USA. Works great. (From the info below, I suspect it's a red MSD Blaster III coil made in Andover, but without the MSD label.) But I keep the OEM coil in the trunk along with tools to change it out, just in case. I hate Murphy's law.

Below is a writeup from another post on a Subaru forum, www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/ ("Another Accel Super Coil dead").

MSD/Accel round coil info
              As most here know, I am in the ignition system business. That said, there is information I'd like to post on coils.

I used to recommend MSD Blaster II and III coils for my HEI conversions. They used to work well. These coils used to be manufactured at Andover Industries, Andover, Indiana, and were of superior quality. In early 2000, production of RED MSD Blaster II and III coils, p/n's 8202, 8203 and 8223, was moved from Andover to a company in Mexico, Pro-Bobbin.

When this happened, I started to experience HEI module failures for no apparent reason. Others did as well, and MSD box failures when the RED Blasters were used. It was so untraceable that the problem would only be found by changing the coil. The cause was the insulation materials between the wire windings was deteroratinf and falling away from the coils, causing a layer shorting of the coils, and change of resistance/load on the module/box and failure of same.

The 8200 chrome Blaster II coils remained at Andover, and had only the regular failure rates one would expect from a mass produced coil, functioned correctly. Sometime last year, production of the 8223 RED Blaster III coils with the HEI terminal,was returned to Andover.

When I finally figured it all out, I switched my recommendations on coils to Accel round Super-Stock, made at Andover. Good quality coils, problems stopped, up until about a month ago. IN the last month, numerous Accel coils, 8140 and 8140C, were coming up either new defective or had operating issues like missing, erratic idle, no performance. This was traced to a move in production in the Accel coils.

Accel was sold earlier this year, off the Dana Corporation, and the Accel coil production was moved form Andover to Taiwan. It was these Taiwan Accel coils that were having the issues. I have vended 19 Taiwan Accel coils in the last month, had 16 of them defective/develope problems with under 2 hours run time on them. No more Accel recommendations for me anymore.

To identify different Accel round Super Stock coils:
              Andover Accels have segmented crimping at the top of the case to retain the top, with raised sections around the top.
              Taiwan Accels have a clean full crimp around the whole circumfrence of the top of the case.
              AVOID THE ACCEL TAIWAN COILS.

Coils and their origins:
              MSD,
              8200, and now, 8223 Blaster II, III series, Andover, good quality
              8202, 8203 Blaster II series, Pro-bobbin, Mexico, avoid
              Accel 8140/8140C, 8145/8145C, Taiwan, avoid
              A good black coil with the same specs as the good Andover Accel is the NAPA IC12, same specs.
              AVOID the lesser cost NAPA IC12SB, Mexico made, low quality
              Crane PS20, PS40, Andover, quality
              PerTronix, NO, Taiwan, reboxed with USA logo, avoid
              Mallory round coils, no info
              Jacobs coils, overpriced Taiwan, avoid
              Hope this info stops someone from getting a problem coil.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO
                Hi, I'm a newbie to this forum...my first post.
                Wow, with location in profile and very useful information on first post! 8)

We are very pleased you have joined us! :wav:
                '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                In fact...
                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                X