superchargers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• superchargers?

can you put a supercharger in a festy? whats the best kind or size? :twisted:
    rock on party dude!!!!!!

:newb: I believe your on your own.
    The Festiva Store
    Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

The answer is yes, you can, if you know how to weld or know someone who does and you have the time and money to piece together a beefier fuel system and get the right other parts.

The catch is that if you really had to ask that question, I can already tell that you don't yet have the knowledge and skills necessary to do that kind of fabrication. Not to bust on you at all, everyone starts somewhere, but it sounds as if you would be better off buying as many books on performance and cars as possible and really trying to learn as much as you can. Because believe me, hours of research can save hundreds of dollars. Also, you may be interested in subscribing to the Autospeed.com online magazine, they have a lot of great how-to and tech articles but to read them in their entirety you have to subscribe.

Comment

or you can just ask lots of questions like every one else does to start out. adding a supercharger wouldn't be that difficult, fab some brackets, larger fuel pump and injectors, some pipe work to hook the charger to the intake, and a reprogramed computer. actually quite a bit simpler than doing a full custom turbo system, at least alot less plumbing...
        Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
        1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
        1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
        2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

I'm curious as to where you're going to put that pulley. Last I looked, there wasn't a whole hell of a lot of room for another pulley (at least on my assfire).

-=Whittey=-

Comment

hell if you're desperate.. you could find a way to mount a v belt pulley to the supercharger and put in the ac compressor area :lol:

Comment

Why would you want to supercharge it when turbos are more efficient? And installing a turbo has been done by enough people the work is all documented here in the forums. Unless you just want to be different.
              Brian
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
              :fish:

Comment

supercharger is a better match for a small displacement engine imho, if you went through the trouble of installing a roots type (custom manifold) then you would gain some much needed low end grunt over a turbo set up. a positive displacement roots supercharger would be a good match for a b3 and maybe even a b6. a centrifugal, well done right it could be as effective as an turbo with less weight/ less complicated plumbing, more engine compartment room...ect. personally i like turbos, but for a beginner or someone that wants some more streetability then a roots would be the way to go imho
                2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

Eons ago, when I was a teenybopper working at Bonanza Steakhouse, one of my managers let me take her car to get ice at another store. It was a Horizon. I really liked that car, and one day saw another one at our store which was a very dark blue. With a sunroof.

I fell in love with that look.

My manager had an earlier 1.7 VW engine but it was still peppy.

Later on they came out with the 2.2s. I also knew superchargers were offered by Direct Connection...

My dream car for awhile was a supercharged 2.2 Omni or Horizon. Dark blue, of course (I've still never owned a dark blue car. My beloved '81 Civic was a medium blue.)

(And now for a bit of trivia: In one of the years near the end of production of "Omnirizons," their base engine was a 1.6 Peugeot!)

Direct Connection dropped the supercharger long ago. (I remember it sold for $2K out of their catalog!)

At any rate, the idea of "instant torque" is still attractive to me. Early turbos sometimes took awhile to spool up to power, so I was never interested in them, especially if that power suddenly came on in the middle of a curve at the limit. (BTW, I've never driven a turbo.)

If what Aithan says is accurate, maybe I'll someday shoot for a supercharged B6! Or B8!

If I do, you can bet it'll be painted a dark blue like I've always wanted.

All right, eveyone and his brother now weigh in on the feasability of a supercharged B6 or B8 Festiva!

Karl
                  '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                  '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                  '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                  '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                  '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

BTW, over in Japan they have some supercharged microcars around 1 liter or so.

In the U.S., a real world example which could be good for study is the old supercharged MR-2. I'm pretty sure that was a 1.6 DOHC. Anyone messed with one of these engines? Could that supercharger be adapted to a B series SOHC?

Karl
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Jackson Superchargers makes one for the Miata 1.6, dunno if that could be adapted to the Festiva or not.
                      Brian
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                      :fish:

Comment

it might need some firewall massaging but i see no reason that the jackson racing superchargers for the 1.6 and 1.8 wouldn't fit. same engine...pulleys are on the same side. that would be a great choice especially for someone interested in getting some much needed low end torque for these torque anemic engines!

Comment

actually the jackson charger is mounted over the exhaust side and runs a pipe from the charger, over the pullies, and goes through a 90 degree bend into the miata throttlebody. So you're actually going to need to worry about hood and upper rad support clearance. This setup does offer the advantage of letting you plumb in an air to air intercooler though, which is good if you put a real small pulley on the charger, since roots blowers tend to get a lot hotter the faster you spin them.

Comment

Originally posted by aithanmier
                            or you can just ask lots of questions like every one else does to start out. adding a supercharger wouldn't be that difficult, fab some brackets, larger fuel pump and injectors, some pipe work to hook the charger to the intake, and a reprogramed computer. actually quite a bit simpler than doing a full custom turbo system, at least alot less plumbing...
                            Of course its also ok to ask questions... wasn't saying there's anything wrong with that, just to try and do some amount of research into it yourself as well. Not only do you find the information itself, but you get better at finding it on your own and can come across things that other people maybe haven't. Also, people are much more willing to help when they aren't constantly bombarded by redundant questions. Now I'm not calling you out or anything, but the question as to supercharging a festiva has been brought up before and can probably be found with a search through the archives (to which there is a link on the main homepage). Granted, the search function isn't stellar here, but its just an example I'm trying to make.

Now Jackson racing is pretty expensive, and so is paying for fabrication. BUT if you can find say a toyota 4AGZE engine out of a first gen MR2, that blower would be pretty well matched to the majority of engines that are put into stiva's. It also has an electric clutch that you can rig up to make the pulley freewheel for better fuel economy. I'd bet it can be had for $100 or so in junkyards, and to pay someone else to fab up a GOOD set of brackets (good meaning they are designed well enough to properly support the charger under a load and won't flex at high belt tensions causing it to throw the belt) should run you well under $300. Then its a matter of sourcing a belt and doing the fuel mods yourself.

Comment

or just look for a used jackson racing charger :wink:

Comment

Working...
                              X