Newby, engine size questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newby, engine size questions

I'm new here and am wondering what the engine dimensions are of the earlier carburated Festiva. Height, length and width. Is the starter bolted to the engine side or tranny side of the flywheel? What years were the carburated versions made for the USA market? Is it a 3 or 4 cylinder? Does it need a computer to run or could it run without a computer by installing a different carburator?
    I'm looking at installing a Festiva engine in my big Case garden tractor.
    I've heard the Geo Metro engines don't last very long and the Festiva engine is much tougher.
    I delivered auto parts in a 90 or 91 Festiva when I worked at a Napa auto parts store. That thing could bark the tires in 3rd gear. I loved driving that car. There was one sharp turn on one of the in town roads I could get the car to 4 wheel drift in if it had just rained and I accellerated in the turn in I think 2nd gear.
    7 Ford trucks and some lawnmowers.
    I drove a Festiva when I delivered for a NAPA auto parts store.

Hi Boyd!

Engine dimensions, hmmm. Okay, I'll go out to the lot and use my cane to try to measure my '93GL, which is FI not carbed...

Made some ruler marks on my cane and eyeballed the block, or what I could tell was probably the block.

From outer pulleys to the other side of the block (not counting the tranny) it looks about 20" to me.

Heightwise, from about the bottom of the oil pan to the top of the valve cover, it's maybe 20 to 22". Again, this ain't exact since I'm not using a yardstick or tape measure and I'm not looking at a bare engine.

It also looks to be about 8 or 9 inches thick, not counting the manifolds.

That should give you a rough idea. And I do emphasize "rough."

The starter is on the tranny side, which is on the left side of the engine bay. Carbed versions were made in '88 and '89. On my carbed '89L the starter sits on top of the tranny bellhousing.

Spend some time on this site to find the answers to your other questions.

Boyd wrote:

"I'm looking at installing a Festiva engine in my big Case garden tractor.
    I've heard the Geo Metro engines don't last very long and the Festiva engine is much tougher."

Interesting. That'll be a pretty cool tractor then. About the Geo vs. Festy engines; I've heard the same thing.

Good luck,

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Put a bpt in your tractor, that ought to be enjoyable.
      OX SMASH!!

Comment

True the engine is stronger. All b-series mazda engines are tough....cast iron block & aluminum head. Even the naturally aspirated version have tough turbo-built internals.

As for the metro, it has an engine derived from suzuki's motorcycles. It isn't as tough, per-se but it is IMO definitely the better engine family if you want naturally aspirated power. You can swap a gixxer into a metro relatively easily. Although you'd have no torque. The 100hp suzuki swift had a 1.3 4-cylinder derived from their motorcycles of early 1990's. It is one HELL of a motor. I am still actively looking for a SSGTI to use a a beater...decent handling, power, IMO attractive styling, great fuel econ & nice seats for under 1000!
        Wil
        02' Sc00by WRX Sedan (current project)
        00' Celica GT Automatic 38mpg gas-sipper (sold)
        05' Scion xB box-on-wheels (sold)
        93' MX-3 Hybrid on LSD (sold )
        96' Slowtegé 42mpg Beast-mobile (engine exploded)
        93' B6-ZE 'tiva GL aka"Blue Bomber"(now owned by darpien)

Comment

I'm not familiar with the BPT motor.I will need exact dimensions of a carbed motor with all needed parts attached to it,, intake, exhaust, oil pan etc etc. So measure from the timing cover over to the tail end of the starter,,, top of the engine to the bottom of the oil pan. I remember looking at a Metro 1.0 motor and it looked about the size of the 16hp Vanguard motor in my Toro Groundsmaster.

Comment

Anyone have a chance to get exact dimensions for me? It will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

lol sorry but I'd like to pit a G13B DOC Suzuki engine against any 1.3l engine in a Mazda line up.. it comes standard with forged internals and a 10:1 compression (12 if its jap spec)

but seriously it seems like any car that comes cheap on the market is poorly maintain leading it to its bad reputation (i seem to remember which of the two cars was made by Kia )

Santos
              Suzuki Enthusiast :shock: who has a thing for a Mazda 121 Funtop :wink:
              :angel12:-Santos
              I Officially Hate Spelling Cow v1.6.0

Comment

But which motor has better torque,, especially in lower rpms where I would be keeping it at. Festiva 1.3 carbed, Metro 1.0 or 1.3 carbed, also Suby Justy motor but I forgot what size the motor was and if it was a 3 or 4 cyl inline or flat boxer style.

Comment

Working...
                X