mold remediation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mold remediation

After five years in the unheated barn, I finally moved my Festiva into a house with an attached garage. Unfortunately the damage from the field mice was already done.
    I removed three nests. One behind the plenum access plate, one directly above the right wheel well, and one in the reinforcement tunnel under the carpet of the passenger seat.
    I removed the seats, mats and carpets and washed them thoroughly at the car wash. I discarded the stinky underlayment.
    The problem remaining is replacing some of the chewed plastic wire looms and getting rid of the mouse smell.
    The car wash took care of the plenum. I had white blotches of mold and mildew on the firewall mats.
    I used paper towels with a rubber glove to wipe all the stinky surfaces with muriatic (hydrochloric) acid, followed with a spray of ammonia.
    Just like new again!​
    Last edited by bravekozak; 01-09-2023, 02:39 PM.

Nice. If anyone else is doing this diluted household bleach (chlorine) and a plastic brush would also work and may be a bit more conmvenient. You might consider replacing the barn cats with a more enthusiastic breed.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

If it still smells after cleaning, I highly suggest using an ozone generator. Put it in and let it run overnight. I used it in the car just got and it killed all the musty smells.

Comment

I bought that exact one and will post here if it works for me. Thanks.

Comment

Yeah Brave , let us know how it works. I always thought they were scams. I would buy one on your recommendation though. It looks like you got a bargain on yours. It's not the mice that got into my car it was the barn cats....
          '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
          '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
          '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Oh they work alright. Discovered them while working for a used car dealership. Removes smoke odors too.

Comment

Working...
            X