High beams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High beams

I was driving down the road tonight and I was using my high beams, and I noticed that compared to my girlfriend's 89 Civic's high beams, they're incredibly..dull. What I was wondering, is if the regular lights are supposed to be on when the high beams are on as well. Because I've noticed that when I pull the lever back(towards me for the temp high beams), and I let off on it a bit..I can get both the regular headlights and high beams running, which provides much more light. But if I pull the lever all the way back, I get just the high beams.

Is that how it's supposed to be and I'm just blind? Or is it supposed to work differently?

The regular high beams use a separate filament in the bulb that due to a different position reflects the light higher onto the road than the low beams. The intensity of the light is the same for the low and high beams.

When you pull back on the lever it engages both filaments so the light is clearly visible during the daytime to indicate to other drivers that you are passing them.

Some companies do sell systems which will keep the low beam engaged when you turn on your high beams but these aren't legal and I'm not sure of the effect on the longevity of the bulbs having both filaments lit for extended periods.

Comment

Go to parts store and get yourself some Silverstar Ultras.
      Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
      99 Dodge Caravan SE
      95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
      94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
      78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
      78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
      03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
      95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
      95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
      95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

I wouldn't suggest doing anything to keep the low beams on at the same time as the high beams... I can imagine that eventually you'll melt the bulb or the wiring.

I second elcamino's suggestions... I run Silverstars in my Jeep and the Festiva and love them. The Ultras are even brighter and will be put in the next time I need to replace the bulbs.
        Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

I don't think he will melt the harness with both low and high beams hooked up. Back in the day when i though it was cool to paint your tail lights to match the color of your car i put h4 headlights in my tail lights. Never burnt up the wiring once
          ---------------------------------------------------
          The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
          ---------------------------------------------------
          BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

i picked up some MEGA cheep head lights yesterday... i mean cheep, like $3.50 cheep... i found them at princess auto (local "everything" store) they say "icey hot blue tint" on the package. they do have a slight blue tint to them, but not much. but hey, for $3.50 i can complain lol.

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
            1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Originally posted by MPG
              The regular high beams use a separate filament in the bulb that due to a different position reflects the light higher onto the road than the low beams. The intensity of the light is the same for the low and high beams.
              Im pretty sur that the low beam is 55w and the high beam is 65w but I could be wrong.

Comment

I have some EuroStar's that I bought from some asian auto place in a mall around here. They're 4600k I believe, and they're bright, but at the same time they're not.

I was thinking of buying one of those cheap HID kits made for 9004 conversions. A little adjusting and I could get some nice vision going on at night.

Comment

Originally posted by Biglay5150
                  Originally posted by MPG
                  Im pretty sur that the low beam is 55w and the high beam is 65w but I could be wrong.
                  I checked and we were both wrong. :lol:

9004 bulbs have a 45W low beam and 65W high beam.

Comment

I'm using some upgraded bulbs... 9004's but 80W-100W. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is proper aiming. It won't matter how bright your bulbs are if the headlights aren't aimed correctly.
                    Ian
                    Calgary AB, Canada
                    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca
                      I'm using some upgraded bulbs... 9004's but 80W-100W.
                      Any wiring upgrades?

Comment

Originally posted by MPG
                        Originally posted by fastivaca
                        I'm using some upgraded bulbs... 9004's but 80W-100W.
                        Any wiring upgrades?
                        None... just plug n play
                        Ian
                        Calgary AB, Canada
                        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

My bulbs could need to be re-aimed. I just always assumed they were pointed in the right direction. They do seem to shine a bit closer towards the car instead of further away.

Comment

Working...
                          X