aspire rear defogger and windshield wipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aspire rear defogger and windshield wipers

I bought a rear defogger switch in a (likely vain) attempt to install a rear defogger in my basic model '96 aspire. pressing it makes the REAR light come on on the instrument panel.

i took off the trim panel on the hatch, and there are two connectors that aren't in use, on either side, they look like they belong to the rear defogger. I can see where there are holes that are taped over where the wires for it would go.

Is there a relay somewhere for this? I checked my fuses and they looked okay, or am I just not connecting this right? Are the connectors both positive or is one positive and one ground? I've tried it both ways and don't seem to be able to get any current out of there. However, regardless of whether or not I find power I still need to get a defogger to stick back there, likely easier said than done.

That brings me to my next point. I could just get a new rear hatch. But, if I do that, knowing myself I'd want one with the rear windshield wiper. How difficult is that to set up, or is it already wired? My control stalk obviously doesn't support it... is it just a matter of bolting the new hatch on and replacing the stalk? I figure the windshield washer resoviour isn't difficult to place, as the little door for it is right there and that piece of trim comes off easy.

While we're talking about windshield wipers, I don't have intermittant wipers either. What controls that? Is it another relay (or something similar to a flasher circuit) or can that too be gotten just by replacing the control stalk?

Hi Andrew.

I have two Festivas, one with just the RWD and a GL with both RWD and wiper/washer.

The Aspire is probably much the same for controls: both of mine are rocker switches on the dash, to the right of the steering wheel.

Your stalk should not have anything to do with it as far as I would guess.

As for electical stuff, look on Ebay for shop manuals and electrical/vacuum manuals.

Sorry I can't help more, but I'm still learning! Good luck!

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

prewired, just pick up the switches and the hatch with the wiper/defrost your good to go on the aspire
      Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
      1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
      1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
      2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

Working...
      X