Window problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window problem

Here's the deal. My windows roll down fine, but require an unnecessary amount of effort to roll back up. I pulled apart my driver's side door panel and couldn't find anything wrong except for a bit of slack in the cable that runs to the base of the window on the track. Would this be the cause of my problem? I'm going to be installing custom door panels that will make it very hard to fix this problem in the future, so I'd like to have this fixed asap. Do I need to change out the entire track/crank assembly, or can I find a new cable? Am I better off just getting a whole new door?

George
    GT

George,

I would replace it. I see them on ebay alot and the usually go for around $25, including shipping. Festiva motorsports has them also. Mine were both bad in my '88, I could not find anything to adjust or lube on them, I think they just wear out.
    Kevin
    '93 L (BP{T} Sold
    '90 L Plus Sold
    '94 Mercury Capri XR2 sold

Comment

I am having the same problems rolling up my windows and I think they just wear out... I wish there was some quick easy fix for em... -Kyle
      Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

What I want to know is whether the problem is the bearings in the crank system, or the cable.
        GT

Comment

Probably the bearings... That'd be my guess...

And it's most likely easier to replace it than trying to fix it. I swapped in two new ones I found off EBay, but Roger offers them too...

Simon
          Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

It seems to happen worse in the winter time. I don't see the problem in the summer. The front channel seems to stick, kicking the glasss forward into a bind. I have tried different methods, but a thin coat of good ol' vaseline in the channel seems to work the longest.

Comment

Had the same problem with mine. Sprayed some silicon into the front part of the window channel and it fixed the problem. Be careful about overspray.

Ian
              92 GL Sport
              Calgary
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada
              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Agreed, I only notice the problem the colder it gets outside... I think either the tracks get binded or even possibly the rubber seals around the window harden up enough to make it hard to crank... I don't know and I'm not about to take em apart when it's below 20 degrees out :cry: I guess I'll have to deal until it warms up... -Kyle
                Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

Yes, the problem does get worse as the temperature drops. I think I'll try one of the alternative ideas before I rip out the entire assembly and risk a suprise thunderstorm attacking the car before I get it back in. How long does your vaseline last, DJ?
                  GT

Comment

last time it lasted all season.. had to do it again in november.. but it doesnt get as cold here..

Comment

I got the same prob in my stiva, gona hafta give the vaseline a try. its a real pain when every time you put the window down it takes 5 min just to get it back up... :evil:
                      Nate
                      ----------
                      Personal Gallery: http://www.fordfestiva.com/forum/alb...hp?user_id=122

Comment

Working...
                      X