About headlight covers for round headlight conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About headlight covers for round headlight conversion

I just bought some used clear headlight covers for a 1990 Jetta to do my round headlight conversion, and they're a pretty close fit. The height is perfect, just need to take off about 1.5" lenghtwise, and a little sanding to get the curve right on the grille side of the cover. You also need to switch sides; use the Jetta's left side cover on the Festy's right side and vice-versa. And the only downside is that the covers each had three black horizontal lines printed on them, but I easily scraped them out manually with a penny (which removed the lines without scratching the plastic) and then polished the remaining traces with my Dremel and a polishing wheel and compound. Got the covers for 10$, and might be less of a hassle to find than Festy ones. Here's how they looked like when I got 'em:
    The left lane? Are you crazy!!! I never drive in the left lane...It's full of freaks driving the wrong way and charging right at you!!!

uh oh... my mom has a 90 jetta and my brother has a 92 jetta. I hope they don't end up missing some covers

but I think they've both got glass headlights? might be a little harder with glass.
    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Hehe yeah! Unless you have a glass cutting tool and some wicked glass polishing techniques!!! If Festiva lenses were clear instead of having all those carved-in lines, or if I could be able to polish them out, I wouldn't bother with plastic headlight covers!!!
      The left lane? Are you crazy!!! I never drive in the left lane...It's full of freaks driving the wrong way and charging right at you!!!

Comment

any pics of the finished product?

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
        92 GL - parts car
        97 aspire - parts car
        87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
        http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
        Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

It's not finished yet; I got my covers yesterday in the mail, and the UPS man came by today with my 7" round halo conversion. I'll just need to go buy some VW Rabbit headlight buckets monday.

Comment

Hey guys, I finally settled on buying some used GTI MK2 round headlights for my conversion. I wanted to point out that for those who want round headlights with minimal fuss, these are the way to go. Instead of sealed beams, they consist of reflector bucket with lens (made by Hella) with a removable 9004 bulb, which is the same bulb type as the Festiva, so you can forget about doing some wiring. The reflectors themselves have molded-in tabs for the adjustment screws, which screw in a metal frame, like these:

However, since I thought they were made like Rabbit headlights with a metal headlight bucket and retaining ring, I already had bought a 7" round halo H4 conversion. Anyways, I got the MK2 headlights for cheap, and one had a cracked lens, so I'll be modifying them to fit my H4 halo lights. I may post pics and instructions if anybody's interested.
            Last edited by Pocket_Rocket; 11-24-2008, 03:28 PM.

Comment

works better if you get the 93-99 jetta covers...
              93-1.6l
              f.s.- fms bodykit.

Comment

any full write ups?

Comment

Originally posted by collegeboi View Post
                  any full write ups?
                  There is one by monkeyracing to build some using Rabbit parts. I intend to do a write-up with the Golf GTI parts when I'm finally done.

Comment

Does anyone know details about how Cam Waugh did his round headlights. What buckets, covers, is there a headlight door/trim panel?
                    30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Working...
                    X