How to correct mileage on a white/orange cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to correct mileage on a white/orange cluster

I made this because there is no information on correcting your mileage when swapping clusters. I prefer to have an accurate milage so this is how you do it. This could be used in a bad way, but honestly you could also buy a new cluster and stick it in with lower miles anyway. This was done on a white cluster, there is a quick how to on the orange cluster at the end.

First remove the your old cluster...follow this writeup

Next you will want to seperate the front clear face from the back half. There are 2 tabs on top and 2 on bottom that you press down on to release it. Didnt get any pictures of this sorry.

Then you remove all the screws on the backside, making note of where each screw came from. There are like 5 different size screws, with very small differences between. I also removed the wiring to the overhead lights and removed that, I dont recall if its needed or not.

After that you will have the front face, be very careful with this piece. Get out a cheap knife, I used a free pocket knife I had. Use a lighter and heat up the tip. You are going to use the knife to remove the drum that has the mileage on it. You need to cut through the plastic and pry out the drum being very careful. Leave as much plastic as you can because you have to reverse this to reinstall it.

Now you can spin the brown gear by hand to get to the mileage you need or stick it in a drill like I did. It literally was spinning at 100,000 mph. I quickly got to the mileage I needed.

Reverse the steps from here. Stick the drum back into its location, melt the plastic around it back down. Screw it back together and click the tabs in and your done.

This same thing can be done on an orange face cluster, but you dont have to melt anything. You just remove a screw and a gear and the drum is free to turn to whatever mileage you need.

Make sure you get ALL the little spacers in right too or it wont work, lol. Even one missing spacer can cause one of them to fail. For me, I was adding a tripometer to a 140cluster and missed a little spacer thingy and it wouldnt catch and bring the numbers around. Had to completely re dissassemble, lol, it sucked. This is a great right up tho, it should be stickied!!
    1997 Ford Aspire, MTX, Teal, B3E - "Trusty"
    1997 Ford Aspire, MTX, Red, B3E - "Eggy" (RIP)
    1989 Ford Festiva LX, ATX, Maroon, B3E - "TBK" (RIP)
    1991 Ford Festiva GL, ATX, Red, B3E - "Festiva GT" (RIP)

Comment

Working...
    X