Steel wheel paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel wheel paint

I am trying find out what is the correct silver color paint for the original stell wheels on a '90. Mine are in decent shape but need painting.
    I wanna do it with a rattle can spray paint. I'm sure there are lots of guys out there that have done this?

Also what is the best bumper dress up product out there?

I used a product from BONDO today, 1st coat \, needs a 2nd coat tomorrow.
    Looks pretty good.

Thanks

Dave Z

Nice looking Festy. I love the color! You can get special "wheel paint" at most chain parts stores. It will resist rock chips, brake dust, etc. better than regular paint. They also make a clear top-coat for added protection. I have been wanting to repaint my steel wheels in a little darker shade of silver. Mine are Ford Argent Silver, but they are too bright and look like they were painted with the old "bumper chrome" paint. Looks kind of cheesy IMO. I've been looking for a light metallic grey with a bronze tint like the Anthracite color on the Bullitt wheels on my '04 Mustang. I thought about using Dupli-color van & truck touch up paint in the large spray cans. That way I can find the perfect color and finish off with the clear wheel coating.
    Attached Files
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Yes, I used Dupli-color on my wheels, and put a clear coat over them too. They looked good for some time, but then the PA weather got to them, then the CA sun got to them. Also don't expect the clear-coat (if you do that) to hold up long; just the heat from the brakes tends to make it go south.
      If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
      Mark S.

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
        Nice looking Festy. I love the color! You can get special "wheel paint" at most chain parts stores. It will resist rock chips, brake dust, etc. better than regular paint. They also make a clear top-coat for added protection. I have been wanting to repaint my steel wheels in a little darker shade of silver. Mine are Ford Argent Silver, but they are too bright and look like they were painted with the old "bumper chrome" paint. Looks kind of cheesy IMO. I've been looking for a light metallic grey with a bronze tint like the Anthracite color on the Bullitt wheels on my '04 Mustang. I thought about using Dupli-color van & truck touch up paint in the large spray cans. That way I can find the perfect color and finish off with the clear wheel coating.

Thanks for the info, I have been lookink for DupliColor silver, trying to come as close as I can original, but we are in a remote area on an island and things are hard to find.
        We have a Wal-Mart, Home Depot, a Kmart, I searched all of those y'day, nuttin.
        We also have three NAPA stores and none of them carry the DupliColor paint, I'll keep looking, thanks for the advice.

A few years back I did a whole lot of detailing on GM cars, mostly Corvettes, Camaros, Novas,and Corvairs, did a lot wheel detailing on the GM rally wheels, used DupliColor rattle cans for all of that.

When we moved to the beach all of those hobby cars got sold.

The interior of my Festiva is like brand new also, only 49K grocery gettin miles on it, belonged to a neighbor of my son up in Dayton, Oh. he passed away last April and asked his daughter to sell it to me, $400.

Dressed the "gray" bumper covers today, used a product from Bondo, "Black Restorer", they look pretty good.

Wanna get the wheels painted while I look for alloy wheels, best case scenario, five spoke 12' alloys.

Supposed to get the windows tinted next week, any suggestions for color, degree of tint????

Thanks again.

Dave Z

Comment

Eastwood (www.eastwood.com) has very good, albeit expensive wheel paints.
          If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
          Mark S.

Comment

You may try a body shop or Auto body supply house if you have one. Otherwise, you may have to order some on-line. The Eastwood wheel paint is an excellent recommendation and you can order it on-line as well. I also bought some of the Bondo black restorer but haven't tried it yet. I decided to use some special bumper coating paint from my local auto body supply place in Dark Charcoal (to be closer to the original factory color).

As for the window tint, depends on your local laws and how they enforce them. My car in the picture has 20% light transmission tint on all windows. The law here is 35%, but they don't enforce it. The tint has been on for 8 years and still looks great with no peeling or fading. I did it myself with the "premium" quality tint from Wal-Mart, and it only cost me about $40 total and an afternoon.

Good luck, and post pics when you're done!
            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

As for the window tint, depends on your local laws and how they enforce them. My car in the picture has 20% light transmission tint on all windows. The law here is 35%, but they don't enforce it. The tint has been on for 8 years and still looks great with no peeling or fading. I did it myself with the "premium" quality tint from Wal-Mart, and it only cost me about $40 total and an afternoon.

Good luck, and post pics when you're done!
              I don't want to jack this thread but I feel it may help the original question as well.

I've been wanting to get my windows tinted also. I know a place I can get it done for 100 with a warranty. To be honest I don't want to spend 100 but 40 I could swing. What's the comparison?
              I kind of feel it would probably be worth to get it done professionally but is it really that much better?
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
              The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

If you are not picky on quality, then do it yourself. I did my cavalier with window tint, and spent 4 hours doing it. The final result is ok in my opinion, but I wish I got it done by a professional because I like my cars to be perfect. As well $100 is very cheap for window tint by a proffesional.

-1989 festiva auto to standard conversion, bp g5mr white, aspire swap- October 2010 Festiva of the Month
                -1993 festiva stock standard blue, kia rio front struts

Comment

$100 for a professional tint job is a good deal. Mine are by no means perfect, but it looks darn good and has lasted 8 years. I just used the Gila brand tint you get at Wal-Mart. I got the Premium grade that has the hard coating and a metalized inner layer. The rear side windows can be easily removed by taking out the hinge screws. Then you can lay them out on your dining room table and do a nice professional job. I make a template out of paper for the front windows, then cut the tint to size first using the template. After I finish applying the tint, I go around the edges with clear nail polish. That seals the edges and keeps them from peeling.

I've seen plenty of cars with professional tint jobs that are faded & peeling after a couple years. A lot of those places also remove the windows to tint them. Although it does produce the best results, I don't like removing door panels and interior trim unless I absolutely have to. Too many plastic clips and parts to break and they never seem to fit as good once they've been removed.
                  Brian

Comment

mmm yellow festiva!! Love it and want it!!
                    The new keeper of Uncle Fester!! 88 5-speed, efi, now with ac!
                    1988 LX ~sold~
                    1992 Blue GL auto, ac ~sold~
                    2008 Nissan altima 3.5sl loaded <lease returned>
                    1996 Nissan maxima <sold>
                    2002 ford f350 crew cab short bed diesel

Just remember, it could be worse, you could have a fork in your eye!!

Comment

I figured 100 sounded pretty good. Plus they have a lifetime warranty on bubbling and fading. So I suppose when I get this done they are the way to go!
                      Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                      The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Originally posted by Sandm849 View Post
                        mmm yellow festiva!! Love it and want it!!

Well you can't have it, YET. I'm pretty sure I will sell it when I have finished playing with it.
                        I have, over the years, dine all the detailing I wanna do and then sold the car.
                        Pretty sure that will be the case here.
                        49,000 miles, 5 speed.
                        KEEP IN TOUCH.

Found a site to buy the wheel, http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraypaintd...eel-paint.aspx

Guess I'll try the Dupli-color, the VHT is too pricey.

Dave Z

Comment

I'll have these tinted professionally, Quoted $189 bucks with a five year warranty, sound right?

Comment

Brian, I like that color blue and the tint job looks good from here. :~)

Comment

That price for the tint with the warranty sounds good. In my area Im paying atleast 200 for a car to be tinted.

PS pm'ed you....definitely stay in touch with me!!
                              The new keeper of Uncle Fester!! 88 5-speed, efi, now with ac!
                              1988 LX ~sold~
                              1992 Blue GL auto, ac ~sold~
                              2008 Nissan altima 3.5sl loaded <lease returned>
                              1996 Nissan maxima <sold>
                              2002 ford f350 crew cab short bed diesel

Just remember, it could be worse, you could have a fork in your eye!!

Comment

Working...
                              X