Painting Interior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting Interior

I have been working on taking out all the interior stuff to paint. got everything out but the dash. It is all disconnected everywhere. I still cant get it to come out. I get it almost out and it starts catching on the Hazard Button.

Is there any other wire connections that I need to disconnect as well? I know I got all the nuts and bolts, heat/air vents, gauge cluster, heating panel, glove box, steering wheel, fuse box, radio. All that stuff has been taken out so that it is not in the way.

Another thing I dont get is that even with all that removed there still is wiring run through the dash that comes with it as you pull on it. Is there like a main plug that I need to disconnect?

Otherwise I think I got it hanging out enough where I can just paint it. Might have to paint it with a brush haha.

Will be posting pictures soon of the before. And occasional progress as I go. Dont have much money to get it all done at once.

i'd remove the steering column to make removal easier. the harness may be connected to relays and possibly just zip tied or fastened to the dash itself

Comment

Comment

Comment

how do you like your cherry bomb? i had one i got for free but it was bigger than my exahust so i got rid of it. thinking of buying one that fits.. you running with a cat too? does it sound good and does the car "operate" like it has a stock muffler or are there any problems?

Comment

Comment

I dont think it has a cat. I removed the muffler and put the glasspack in place of that. Otherwise it was very loud.
              So pretty much straight piped into the glasspack. I like the way it sounds. But probably could be done better.

Comment

i like the placement of your speaker in the center console.
                93L sold. First FESTY!
                91L blue monster "BP swapped!" Robbed of its Heart for other Festy!
                91GL blue bandit(thanks to sparky) Sold twice! lol
                89L (thanks again to sparky) "SCRAPPED without my permission!!!!:nono:
                93L Clean Green Machine! (Thanks to Sedat)-Sold to other member!
                89 Auto LX Wrecked and stripped. violin
                93GL Sold Too Soon!
                91GL BP powered, ALL OPTIONS! banana time

Comment

Originally posted by gestiva View Post
                  i like the placement of your speaker in the center console.
                  yeah, that and the wooden rail on the dash board

Comment

Originally posted by MTec007 View Post
                    how do you like your cherry bomb? i had one i got for free but it was bigger than my exahust so i got rid of it. thinking of buying one that fits.. you running with a cat too? does it sound good and does the car "operate" like it has a stock muffler or are there any problems?
                    I had that set-up on my 91 GL B6. No cat. Was waaay to loud. Sold it to Josh in MN.
                    Chuck
                    Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
                    If money will fix it, it's not broken
                    91 GL -Ol' Rusty
                    93 GL - Lil Red
                    91 L - Tweetystiva
                    http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
                    http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

haha got sick of things always sliding off my dash. and i used to have the box below taken out and had a cup holder set up down there. but when i got 3 pioneer speakers, pretty nice, i mounted 2 in the back which i had to cut out the holes to be bigger for the speakers, and then i couldnt figure out what to do with the last one, then it came to me and i started fabricating the speaker to fit in the box. i like the wood face to. i was gonna do it with just a sheet metal face but then i thought it would rattle to much. my dad had some leftover wood floor sheets so i cut out a peice out of one and there ya go.

Comment

had a friend tell me to make sure i sand the panels, paint, and then sand again.

what i just did was sand and then paint, and then couple more layers on top of that. didnt like the look of the paint sanded. anyone else know why i should do this?

ended up just getting the dash out as far as i can to paint it in my car. turned out pretty good.

my friend also mentioned that if i dont sand it, it will just peel off after sitting in the sun for to long. I hope it lasts for a while. I used some cheap spray paint. will be doing a whole write up of everything i did after i am done.

will have pictures as well.

Comment

If you used cheap spray paint im not too sure on how long that is gonna hold up. Dont expect to be able to touch it too much without issue.

Your friend said to "sand, paint, sand" and probably was meaning to say paint again.

Has caught the most Festivas on Fire on this board!!

Comment

And I hope you de-greased it, because if there was anything like Armor-all on there, the paint will be coming off soon. But perhaps the sanding took care of any adhesion issues.
                            If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
                            Mark S.

Comment

i just sanded then painted. and put a couple more layers on after each time it dried out. got the whole from dash and everything finished. will take some pictures of that in the morning and post them up. ran out of paint so got to save up and get some more to finish up the back panels. already went through 4 cans of black and 4 cans of red just for the whole dash, and the trim around the doors, also had enough left to do the one big panel in the back on the drivers side. costing more than i had thought, but still a pretty cheap mod to make it look nice and custom.

Comment

Working...
                              X