Respray: side door trims & mud guards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respray: side door trims & mud guards

I did a little searching and didn't come up with much so go easy on me if I missed an existing thread somewhere else

Late last year I had most of my car resprayed, looks really good but now is showing up other areas of the car. The plastic door trims and mud guards are looking tired. So in the near future I'm thinking of cleaning & respraying the lot. I also have the red tape strip in the middle which I haven't decided how to approach yet, either source new red tape as mine's had it or carefully paint a new red strip in. Going to look for a dark grey colour, I was thinking black at first but I think on a white car it'd be too bold.

So I was just wondering if anyone else has bothered doing this mod? Not sure how easily that trim comes off the car but I was just going to tape up the car and spray it as is.

Will get onto this one in a few weeks and take some progress photos if anyone's interested I'll bring this thread back to life then.
    200,000KM milestone!

When we repainted my bumpers we just took a Scotch Brite pad and scuffed up the bumpers a little and then used some Wax & Grease remover to prep the bumpers. The paint stuck really well. If the car is White I would stick to white bumpers, but that is just my opinion. As far as the red stripe in the middle of the side molding you can get some Red Pin Stripe tape at an Auto Parts store and it works great. Also, I have never taken the side moldings off, but they are just held on with a double sided tape, so they might come off easily, and then you can buy new double sided tape to reapply them.
    '90 LX

Comment

Ahh I should have said, here in Australia the Festiva's came with colour-coded bumpers so that's already done, our Mazda 121's had the bumpers your Festiva's have there. So the side moldings are just held in by double-sided tape hey? I'll have a go at taking them off then. I thought about removing them permanently but like the peace of mind knowing I've got that buffer zone from things bumping my doors. But they look a bit dull thus the respray idea.
      Last edited by Click_It; 05-30-2010, 02:01 AM.
      200,000KM milestone!

Comment

Working...
      X