Universal Tachometer Wiring.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Universal Tachometer Wiring.

Yes ive been searching but still cant find anything specific to what I am looking for, I am not looking to swap in a tach cluster, I am trying to simply add a little 2 inch universal tach to my setup and just want to know what others have done wiring wise for this, I know some of what I must do but I just want to be sure im wiring it correctly, so that being said can anyone help me figure out specifically what wires I need to tap into for a standard little universal tach , i need the ground, 12v sourc and im supposing the negative side of the ignition coil wire, but i just want to know which would work best for the ground and the 12vpos source, because I cant get it working on just a chassis ground. thanks
    91 red l-

What do you mean by just a chassis ground? That is a grounding point. Just make sure there is conductivity. Use a switched 12v source too.
    Oscar

Comment

I have a white tach cluster I would sell you for $50 + Shipping if you would be interested in that.
      The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
      89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

Why not add a hood tach like the old pontiac muscle cars?? That would be functional and very unusual.
        Go Fast !!,Take Chances !!

Comment

For the tach signal, you can use the small connector (that's not plugged into anything) that's close to the wiper motor. usually there are 2 one will work, the other won't. Someone here might know which color to use. Or you can always tap into one of the coil wires.

as far as your ground just about anywhere should work. As long as you have the Positive Switched. And have your key "on" when seeing if it works.

Hope this helps.
          -Greg
          Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
          BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
          Redneck Engineer
          FOTY - '09
          5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
            For the tach signal, you can use the small connector (that's not plugged into anything) that's close to the wiper motor. usually there are 2 one will work, the other won't. Someone here might know which color to use. Or you can always tap into one of the coil wires.
            Yep, the wire is yellow with a green stripe.
            '90 LX

Comment

^thank you.
              -Greg
              Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
              BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
              Redneck Engineer
              FOTY - '09
              5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by Claude View Post
                I am not looking to swap in a tach cluster, I am trying to simply add a little 2 inch universal tach to my setup
                Originally posted by doylerl View Post
                I have a white tach cluster I would sell you for $50 + Shipping if you would be interested in that.

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I read that, but thought he was just trying to point out what he was trying to do.
                  The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
                  89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

LOL thanks damkid yeah....not interested.
                    91 red l-

Comment

Working...
                    X