Has anyone Ever????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone Ever????

besides tinting the rear windows and the hatch, has anyone actaully taken out the glass and replace it with sheet metal, so its fully enclosed??? its jsut another idea of mine and wondering if anyone has done it yet. if no one has done it i think i might have a nice spring project in mind. if someone has done it post pics too , it should be interesting.
    Stock is not an option!

i dunno if anyone has done it but it would look cool! go for it!
    Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
    1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
    1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
    2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

totally illegal

Replacing the rear windows and hatch glass with metal would make the car totally not street legal, and I bet you get a ticket the first day.

Does bring a whole new version of SHAVED to the extreme, but unless you where only using the car for bass competitions you would be up shit creek.

Logan

Comment

It depends on how it's done.. I have made deliveries out of windowed vans before and never had a problem.. and these cars aren't so popular that a cop would even be aware if it was done in a way that made it look stock. I have the same plans for techno my 2 seater.

Comment

Not sure how that would be illegal? I'm sure the law varies State to state, but I've lived in Ohio and Indiana - both states *require* only a windshield.

Replacing glass with metal would be a way to stick it to 'em with their tint laws, eh? 100% tint!
          jeff

Comment

There was a festiva in England on ebay a while back that was a delivery festiva. It had sheet metal rear side windows, can't remember about the rear.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
            BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
            BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
            New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

In Alberta as long as you have exterior mirrors on both sides you are legal.
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada
              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

too true. i believe you are only required to have a windshield and front windows. as long as you have 2 outside mirrors then your legal to "panelize" all the back windows. plus it would be more work that it was worth for a le officer to write you up for it, not even sure what you would write the ticket for lol. if you have yearly state inspections thought they might try to give you a hard time about it. if thats the case i'd be sure to look up the law and write it down so you can cite it to the inspection station if they hassle you. :twisted:
                Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
                1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
                1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
                2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

i think all you need is the side mirrors. they got those delivery vans with no windows and they got the side mirrors so i think if i get another side mirror for my car i'm pretty sure it will be legal. but xpnysd if you beat me to it send me pics and if i beat ya to it i'll send you pics. i'll also look into the law portion of it too.
                  Stock is not an option!

Comment

stock

I guess it would have to look completely stock, because in NY if you have anything obstructing your rearview mirror its a ticket.

Even most pickuptrucks with the dumpboxes usually have alittle window to see through the back.

IDK?

logan

Comment

actually, you could remove the rearview mirror.. no need for it.. but yeah you'ld have to have both side mirrors..

Comment

general law is, front, driver, passanger, back. Trucks, van, and vehicles that are intended for towing/carring cargo are generally exempt.
                        "Nothing's gonna grieve us
                        When we drive Festivas
                        I could go a hundred miles an hour
                        Long as I got the Almighty Power
                        With my plastic Jesus
                        Riding on the dashboard of my car"

Comment

Originally posted by mattswabb
                          There was a festiva in England on ebay a while back that was a delivery festiva. It had sheet metal rear side windows, can't remember about the rear.
                          I have spent the last 2 hours trying to find that pic of the car with the solid panel windowed car , like a nomad, it was in another country.
                          As for back windows ,I know people that used to get a warning for having the rear window blocked in a station wagon ?
                          but a pickup can have a load up to the top of the cab,big trucks you cannot see out the rear ,
                          So I have always been told that as long as you have 2 outside mirrors ,it is OK .
                          Like anything I am sure there is some way to find a hole in the law books .
                          I will look thru my IVC code book and see if anything exist
                          Truck vs automobile
                          ------------------------------------------------
                          The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                          Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                          HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                          Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                          Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                          Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                          Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                          90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                          It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Texas doesn't require a back window..

Edit: I've had a couple of deliveries. My 65 Ford Falcon delivery had no back window, my 64 cab over chevy van had only 3 windows. my buddies 59 chev delivery had rear glass though

Comment

You forget box trucks Logan. The NY state law states that the vehicle must have both side mirrors with nothing restricting vision between them if the rear view mirror is not useable. As for the not having rear windows, If the vehicle is not equipped with them, they cannot ticket you for anything to do with them. They are not there. Just make the install nice, neat and smoothed. I think that would be different enough to be sweet looking. If you do it, I would like to see some pics.
                              HENRY
                              Fast, fun and good gas mileage. 91' Festiva(RIP) and 96' Aspire(RIP). The website is no more.

Comment

Working...
                              X