my $15 shipped, short shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my $15 shipped, short shifter

From eBay for a late 90's to early 00's Honda, feels light and sweet. Took 45 min to install and works perfectly though I had to modify the stock pieces just a little: like in a thread posted a few years back. Haven't driven it yet but in the garage it seems like a winner!!! The knob is $25 from Advance. I love the feel of it.

-Bryant

Looks good! Did you have to use any bushings? Almost looks like the lower hole is the right size for a 10mm shank?
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

No bushings needed for those. They have bearings.
      Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
      91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Just had to use a 10mm bolt without the shoulder and a couple flat washers to space it similar to the way the stocker is offset. I used a jam nut also because there was no shoulder to tighten to. You could use a nylock nut if you had one I suppose. It also comes with 2 thin spacers that that are the same size as the inner race of the bearings. Had to cut the retainer ring on the boot at bottom of the stock shifter so it would go around the larger ball of the new one. I then glued it back onto the rubber after it was on. Also had to cut the spring about 1.5 to 1.75 coils because of the bigger ball. Was very easy install and could be done by ANYONE. Yes I'm sure there are direct fit shifters out there, but with the somewhat differing opinions on what is bolt-on and what takes modifications, I decided that for $15 and 45 minutes It was a sure thing and wouldn't come with any surprises. I was right. No surprises, it works, and it's cheap.
        Last edited by Gomez; 06-18-2013, 10:26 AM.
        -Bryant

Comment

Working...
        X