Power Window Install on my 89 Automatic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Window Install on my 89 Automatic

Today I began the job of installing power windows on Trixie (my 89L automatic).

Tools needed, Open barrel crimp tool. wire cutter, wire stripper, wire connector terminal release tools, Phillips screw driver, 10mm socket.

Supplies you will need: Left and Right power window winders, 1 dual window control for drivers side, one single window control for passenger side. (Or two single control if you put them in the cubby ..wiring will be a little different for this setup), Left and right side power window armrest unless you plan to put switches in the cubby. Left and right side wiring harness with power windows connectors. brass terminal connector assortment and brass splicers (I ordered mine from Eastern Beaver). Plastic terminal connectors to fit your wiring harness, A 12 inch piece of 10 gauge wire (I used white marine grade), 8 feet of 14 gauge red wire. 6 feet of 14 gauge blue wire, 6 feet of 14 yellow wire, 2 feet of 14 gauge black wire. Good quality electrical tape.

Later after I finish, I will create a detail document organizing all this better.

So far, I have the left winder installed and the left wiring harness in the door.
    I put the power mirror connection on a separate connector under the dash. It is installed and working as before with the new harness.
    The power window winder is installed and I tested it raising the window up and down using the 50 amp setting on
    a battery charger. I put a 30 amp fuse on my test setup to make sure I didn't destroy anything while testing.
    The window works great (I had previously installed new channel rubber and grommets on the windows).
    I also temporarily installed the armrest with two screws so I could mark the places on the door to cut for wiring and drill for
    the extra armrest screw holder. Tomorrow I will do the cuts for the armrest and get my under the dash power connections
    ready.

I will add more picture to the photo bucket album as work progresses.

http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/1990new/slideshow/1990new%20Power%20Window%20Install
    Last edited by 1990new; 05-16-2020, 11:17 AM.

where did you get the harness?
    -Bryant

Comment

Originally posted by Gomez View Post
      where did you get the harness?
      The harnesses are from Frestiva via Bravekozak. The right one has wires for a power door lock but the left one does not, so they are from different cars.
      I think they may have come from a Mazda Protege, but I can't say for sure....Freshtiva may remember.
      You can also adapt the harness from a Mercury Capri to work. The power window and mirror connectors on it are identical to the one's I'm installing.
      If you have the terminal connectors and terminals, the tools and knowledge of what wire goes where, you can modify one to make it work or even build your own if need be.

Comment

Thanks,
        -Bryant

Comment

I added a few more picture to the photo bucket album and a short video showing the left window doing up and down using the switch.
          The left side is pretty much done except for adding reinforcement to the door metal behind the third screw position on the armrest.
          Next job is hooking up the power to the fuse block and then to the connector blocks..and of course getting a red, black, blue and yellow wire across
          the dash for the right power window connection. Still looking for a right side armrest. If anyone gets a lead on one, please let me know.

http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/1990new/slideshow/1990new%20Power%20Window%20Install

Comment

Drivers power window armrest installed

Today I got the left power window armrest with controls installed.
            I posted more pictures of the install in the photobucket libary. Tomorrow I connect power from the ignition to the window via a 30 amp fuse. Next job wires to the fuse block, across the dash and then install the right power window.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by 1990new; 04-22-2014, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Did you tape up the hole in the vapor barrier where the old armstrong winder was?

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                Did you tape up the hole in the vapor barrier where the old armstrong winder was?
                No I didn't...that hole is a minor problem when I consider the condition of that original vapor barrier. I will be replacing it
                with a completely new one very soon. Did you see how I did the reinforcement for the third screw in the armrest?
                I use a nut that I got from an old Direct TV antenna. It was just the right thickness. I also added some reinforcement strips to two of the power window studs and nuts.
                Last edited by 1990new; 04-22-2014, 09:33 PM.

Comment

With the low cost of replacement switches, it doesn't make sense to add four relays.

Comment

Nope...no need for relays.
                    Today I put the power window harness in the right door. Went in very easy.
                    Changed the connector on the inside for the power windows to be the same type as the drivers side and now my power mirrors
                    work on both sides using the power window harnesses. The right harness has a power door lock connector which I won't use (for now).
                    Connected the right power window switch to the harness in the door.
                    Now I just need to install the right power regulator, run the wires across the dash, add the right inside connector, and connect up the power. I'll wait until I actually get a right armrest before I cut the holes in the metal. In the meantime, I'll use the drivers side switch to operate the right window. This project is getting close to being done.
                    Last edited by 1990new; 04-23-2014, 07:58 PM.

Comment

As you can see on the Pride wiring schematic WS, the power window circuit is on the same feed as the heater, cooling fan and wipers.
                      Last edited by bravekozak; 04-24-2014, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                        As you can see on the Pride wiring schematic WS, the power window circuit is on the same feed as the heater, cooling fan and wipers.
                        Looks like that's IG1 and on my 89 automatic it appears to be the black wire with a red stripe.
                        That's the one I will use for my spice to make power connection to the fuse block.

Comment

It was the black/white wire coming from the ignition that I had to splice into for power with swith in the on position.
                          The black/white wire connects to a black/red wire as it goes into the wiring harness under the dash.
                          The black/red wire comes out of the harness and goes to the fuse block.
                          I spliced into the black/white wire and connected a white 10 gauge wire which I connected to the fuse block
                          On the output side of that fuse I connected the red power wire which goes to left and right power windows. I spliced
                          into the red output wire to get the second red wire. It is fused with a 30 amp fuse.

I complete the left power connection and the left window works great. I uploaded more pictures and a video to the
                          photo bucket link (in previous post). Tomorrow I will install the right power window.
                          Last edited by 1990new; 05-16-2020, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Yes, the wire colors ring a bell now. Sorry, I posted a splice into the white wire under my power windows thread. It should have been posted under the power locks thread since the white wire is always hot. Oopsie. The only thing I did different than you was to use a hole saw to drill holes in the door sheet metal to feed the connectors through. Good job so far.

Comment

I did drill the hole for the right window switch...was much easier to do that way.

Power windows are installed and working as they should.
                              I currently have the right switch hanging out of the door and surrounded by foam. It is operable for now.
                              I'll leave the door panel off for a a couple of week to see if I can round up a right side armrest. If not, I'm thinking about routing the switch back to the glove compartment and leave it there until I find an armrest. Will need to route just the power window motor wires through the door jam if I do that.
                              Instead of removing the dash, I routed the 3 wires for the right hand window behind the heat/ac control and then along the cable that goes to the fresh air control door. From there I attached it to the dash attachment bracket just above the right radio speaker. I used lost of zip ties so I hope it doesn't rattle anywhere. I will find out when I drive it tomorrow. I know it's not exactly professional but it works...and all my connection were made with open barrel terminals and brass splicers. If you haven't tried them for your wire connection, you should. Really is easy if you have the right tools.
                              I will add more pictures of the right window and under dash wiring tomorrow.
                              Last edited by 1990new; 05-01-2014, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X