CENTER CONSOL HEATER!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CENTER CONSOL HEATER!

I am going to make a heater that will fit inplace of the center shelfs. I will take the shelf insert out and use that room to build an aluminum box. The box will have a computer fan on the backside. A ford f150 heater core will be mounted in the center of the box. The front of the box will have two heater vents on it. I am going to wire the computer fan to three switches that i will mount in place of the ashtry. Each switch will be wired to 12, 9, or 5 volts. The computer fan i will use pushes 252 cfm at 12v but is loud. Flip a switch to get low mid or high fan output. When all said and done the heater should make this winter a bit easier to deal with.

I will make the box from materials i alread have.
    The fan will be around 30$
    The Heater Core will be 30$
    The wiring will be around 20$
    Hose and fittings will be around 20$

Total will be around 100$ for a custom heater. I will post pictures along the way and give a review afterwards
    1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
    1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
    1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
    19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

What state are you in? Does your stock heater not work well? I'd make sure that's working before getting into this project. But if you really do need more heat that the stock box can provide, by all means go for it and keep us posted.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Good luck with the heater. I belive the problem with festivas is that 1300 cc does not make much waste heat. You may want to try blocking off the right side of the grill opening to keep cold air out of the engine bay. And use cardboard to block off a small part of the radiator in the winter months.

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
        What state are you in? Does your stock heater not work well? I'd make sure that's working before getting into this project. But if you really do need more heat that the stock box can provide, by all means go for it and keep us posted.
        Vincennes, IN
        So more than likely his thermostat is open or his heater core is blocked.
        Would have been easier if he put his location in his profile.

Originally posted by Studebaker View Post
        Good luck with the heater. I belive the problem with festivas is that 1300 cc does not make much waste heat. You may want to try blocking off the right side of the grill opening to keep cold air out of the engine bay. And use cardboard to block off a small part of the radiator in the winter months.
        I disagree, it makes heat fine, but the airflow into the engine compartment strips the heat from the block and radiator at speed.
        I do a grill block above the bumper, and it does warm-up faster.
        TominMO, has also blocked the lower air intake into the engine bay in the dead of winter.
        You need a heating system/cooling system in good repair first.
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I start with a FULL front end block and then remove whatever is necessary to keep the fan from kicking on while going down the road. Pretty much impossible to overheat a festiva this way, if the fan is working properly.
          91GL BP/F3A with boost
          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

My problem with the festiva is not that it doesn't create enough heat, but that the engine just takes a long time to warm up.

Before you say anything I have tried multiple thermostats, all of them have similar results.
            Last edited by TorqueEffect; 09-20-2014, 12:01 PM.
            1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
            2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
            1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
              My problem with the festiva is not that it doesn't create enough heat, but that the engine just takes a long time to warm up.
              I had this issue as well. Cured it with a B6T swap.
              1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post

Before you say anything I have tried multiple thermostats, all of them have similar results.
                Grill block my son!
                '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                In fact...
                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
                  I had this issue as well. Cured it with a B6T swap.
                  B6t swap you just spool it up one time and it's warm.
                  1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                    I start with a FULL front end block and then remove whatever is necessary to keep the fan from kicking on while going down the road. Pretty much impossible to overheat a festiva this way, if the fan is working properly.
                    This. In winter, the bumper opening is fully blocked, and the pass. side of the grill. The only air getting to the engine compartment is on the driver side of the grill, which I modify as needed with a piece of duct tape. Cheap and simple fix, which you should try before your project.
                    Last edited by TominMO; 09-21-2014, 09:24 AM.
                    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

10157365_10152340226750460_1273073287_n.jpg

This is what I do to my Golf in the winter, the whole lower opening is blocked as you can see. And the upper grill is completely blocked from the inside. This helps with warmup and staying warm tremendously. Especially being a diesel. When its warmer out I remove the lower piece on the passenger side, so its still around 75% blocked. I towed cars through the mountains blocked like that and the highest temp I saw was around 220F briefly. Otherwise it never really goes much over 200-205.
                      91GL BP/F3A with boost
                      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I think I would get a piece of heater duct hose, tap into the existing ductwork, and channel that air up into the dash outlets.......if for some reason you need dash duct heat.

Comment

an update! I bought a capri xr2 so my heat issues are now fixed for the time being. Gonna drive the capri while i fix up the festiva. Getting all new suspension, going to paint it, new rims and tires, motor mounts for the b6t swap in a couple months. Going to chip the capri when i finally get in touch with rocketman.

Mt tstat is working. The car gets to temp just fine. I hate the cold. The festiva just simply does not give me enough heat to be comfy.

I put a couple tees in at the hearer core inlet and outlet. Ran the hose into the dash used a small heater core. Built a small metal box. Put a fan on the back side. HVAC taped the opening as to make the airflow through the core not around it.

It does the trick just fine. If i drove the car this winter i might make a 2nd design. Smaller box, bigger core, better fan and im sure thatwould be amazing.

BTW the hose that runs into the dash warms up in 30 seconds or so (hot in under a minute).
                          1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
                          1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
                          1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
                          19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
                          1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Webasto has already done the job for you! There is nothing like a south wind.
                            Last edited by bravekozak; 11-22-2015, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Webasto Thermo Top Evo 4

519 Euros
                              Last edited by bravekozak; 11-22-2015, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X