New Instrument Panel for the Drag Racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Instrument Panel for the Drag Racer

After several tries I finally got a instrumental panel that I liked the looks of, that was functional, easy to work on and easy to read all the gauges from the Kirkey racing seat. The gauges are a oil pressure and water temperature (both 2-5/8" diameter) and a volt meter and air/fuel mixture (both 2-1/8" diameter).

The panel itself is made from .125 inch aluminum secured in place with 4 bolts to tabs just below the windshield and onto a purpose made tab that is secured to the steering column support. All the gauge holes were drilled slightly under size and then enlarged for a snug fit with sanding wheels.

The tach (not shown in the finished pictures) will be mounted on the top of the panel. All of the gauges can be connected or removed without having to take the panel off. I mounted the ECU for the BP engine on the passenger side firewall for easy access and to make it easier to run the wire bundle.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Next project is to install all the new front suspension pieces to make the car a steerable roller so it can be put on a trailer to go and get the rollbar made and to bring the car to the Festiva meet in Raleigh for show and tell.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Everyone is welcome to stop by and take a look at the car - something is usually going on - and I have all sorts of parts for sale very cheap!

Doug New Bern, NC 28560

Finished Instrument Panel

OK, here it is all painted up, bolted in place, with the instrument gauges and tachometer installed. This is my view when sitting in the Kirkey racing seat. While some of the oil pressure gauge numbers can't be seen, the important ones can be!!!

The gauge on the lower right is the air/fuel ratio. It updates 13 times per second, so is pretty accurate. It also has a plug for real time downloads to a computer.

The yellow box on the firewall is the computer box for the BP engine -- much easier to get to than under the dash.

The kitten is my official shop helper - she was born in the shop and lives there full time. This is her normal hot weather position, taking advantage of cool concrete floor and a 24-inch box fan blowing air on her!!!

Comment

Looks really good! Keep up the good work.

Comment

Working...
      X