Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horn Upgrade Question (with possible write-up)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horn Upgrade Question (with possible write-up)

A week into ownership of my 91 Festiva, my horn had stopped working. You could hear a clicking noise every time it was used so I knew it wasn't the fuse. Anyway, I had started going to meets in the DMV (mainly in MD). Seems like a a good bit of Maryland drivers has a reputation for not using their indicators so getting cut off in a small car like this mixed with me not having a horn eventually got me on my last nerves. I went into the junkyard and found a set of Buick Roadster horns. 4 horns with the following notes: A, C, D, and F. I decided to make a daisy chain and wire it up. I found a good place to mount them but I haven't tried them yet because I have no idea which fuse is the horn fuse. I figured it would be shared with another accessory (for example, the radio and cigarette lighter share the same fuse and I realized that after putting a Z31 300zx cigarette lighter plug in the socket)

Basically, what I want to know is where is the horn fuse and how should I go about wiring this up? I haven't wired anything up as I know for a fact that the same wire powering a small horn definitely won't power up 4 horns nearly twice its size and I still want to be able to use the buttons on the wheel instead of filling in these blanks on the dash for button.

For the guys that want to know how it sounds, here's a good idea. It sounds like a freight train imo
    ☠ 87 Toyota Tercel [Lil Terc] (RIP)
    ✪ 91 Ford Festiva [Festive Car]
    ✪ 19__ ______ ________ _ [REDACTED]

IG: _lil_terc_

Make sure you horns are grounded properly.
    The horns get their power through the green/white stripe wire from the STOP fuse.
    The horn circuit has a relay. Since, I have two separate horns, I added an extra relay.
    I pigtailed power from the existing relay like this:

Last edited by bravekozak; 07-18-2018, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Would this mean I'd need 4 relays? :/

Comment

No, you could still wire them off of 1 relay. It would be beneficial to make the relay as close to the battery/distribution block etc and horns as possible, to keep the main power run short.

I put 2 big Hellason mine, I could take pics of the mounting and such if you'd like
        Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
        Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
        Feel free to PM me anytime!
        Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
        Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Yes please. I could really use that hmmmmmm

Comment

I have found on all of mine that there is an unused horn wire taped to the harness on the left side, none of mine are LX's, but they all have 2 horns. I prefer Subaru horns, same mountings, electrical connector and nice and loud.
            186,000 miles per second is not just a good idea, it's the law

1990 yellow L+ (l8ly)
            1990 yellow L+ (sunryz)
            1992 aqua L (agua)
            1993 blue L (aurora)

Comment

My favorite horn:

You would be surprised at some of the reactions you get when you moo at them.
              Perfect for tunnels.

Comment

^^ hang a cow bell off the stabilizer bar to go with that. I have one hanging off the seat of my bicycle. Works great, sounds cool.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                  My favorite horn:

You would be surprised at some of the reactions you get when you moo at them.
                  Perfect for tunnels.
                  Have you actually 'mooed' at cows grazing. They WILL react. i have one on my '77 C10 pickup. The original owner installed it and he told me what herd to visit for a little bit of fun.

Yup, he was right.

Comment

I did that with cattle. About 10 of them started pushing hard against the corner of the fence.
                    I drove off real quick before I got in trouble.

With about 20 Holsteins with their heads over the roadway fence, I roared with laughter when they all turned at the same time I mooed while driving by.
                    Last edited by bravekozak; 07-19-2018, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                      I did that with cattle. About 10 of them started pushing hard against the corner of the fence.
                      I drove off real quick before I got in trouble.

With about 20 Holsteins with their heads over the roadway fence, I roared with laughter when they all turned at the same time I mooed while driving by.
                      HA! Good times.

Comment

Working...
                      X