Choptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choptop

Has anyone chopped their car? I don't mean making it a convertible, but rather, lowering the height of the stock roofline.

Does anyone know how much would be appropriate, and how much it would run?

I've seen a couple done by photoshop but not any actual ones.
    ~Jeff
    1988 Festiva LX Silver 5speed. 219,000 miles. My new daily driver.
    1988 Festiva L Plus Red 2brl 4speed. 504,477 miles and holding till I get the speed-o fixed.
    2003 Mustang GT 5speed

Comment

windows might be hard to find if you take it off the upper half of the car.

92l efi 240K+ stock

Comment

you're looking at a lot of custom glass for that particular project, but having cut one of these things up, I can say that as long as you have a decent welder, it wouldn't take much to chop the body and lower the roof a bit. There isn't much to the upper body of these things at all... but yeah, getting the windows done will likely cost you a lot. I say, GO FOR IT!!!
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

that would probably look sweet, to me the festiva is farely tall for it's size, might make for better areodynamics

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

the biggest concern is how much you want to chop. If you dont mind plexi windows go that route. I'm seriously thinking about doing it but i think it will take away fromt the "festiva" look.
            ---------------------------------------------------
            The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
            BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

I'm going to strip the interior out anyway, so plexi-glass windows work fine for a pin-based raise-and-lower system. I'm not worried about the Festiva look ... it's an ugly car to start off with anyway. I'm figuring that with the weight I can save by stripping it, I can add a overly-comprehensive rollcage to it, to offset the lack of safety the Festiva has initially.

I don't know about a plexi-glass windshield though ... has anyone ever driven with one of those?

Comment

lxan is alot stronger and i dont think plexi is l dot approved at least not here

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2304767

Comment

Use Lexan for your windows. There are companies taht will make you a custom Lexan windshield and hatch glass, the doors and quarter wintoes can be cut yourself out of Lexan sheet.

Let's just say i've been thinking aobut this a little.

~Josh
                  99 SVT "BLKOUT2" - # 1571 - PRT track whore
                  98 SVT - PRT R&D car
                  90 Festiva "BLKTIVA"

Comment

Most reputable glass shops will rework your existing glass .

Seen it done many times
                    When you chop and take the car there after the top is back on , they take the glass and grind the excess off and shape the corners for a perfect fit .
                    Windshield and side windows , you will never know the glass was ever modified .
                    ------------------------------------------------
                    The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                    Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                    HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                    Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                    Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                    Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                    Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                    90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                    It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Originally posted by Venomz
                      I'm not worried about the Festiva look ... it's an ugly car to start off with anyway
                      Then why do you have one?
                      Brian
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                      :fish:

Comment

^^+1

Comment

^ It's lightweight and primed for sleeper-status. It's a budget tuner, and what's more, it's not run of the mill. Admitting that the car is ugly is not the same as hating the car. I love the car. For comparison, I hate the way the WRX looks, but you can't deny its performance potential.

It'll look a lot better after the chop.

And for the record, I don't have one yet. I'm collecting the info I'll need once I do buy one. I've already decided on most of everything. I'm trying to get everything at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Venomz
                            , I hate the way the WRX looks, but you can't deny its performance potential.
                            I know they perform pretty good but I beat one with my pick up truck! The guy was mad!
                            Brian
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                            :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by packrat427
                              Most reputable glass shops will rework your existing glass .

Seen it done many times
                              When you chop and take the car there after the top is back on , they take the glass and grind the excess off and shape the corners for a perfect fit .
                              Windshield and side windows , you will never know the glass was ever modified .

I'd like to see them grind 3 inches of tempered safety glass without heating it up enough to break it. Beside how would you take off 3 inches in material from the top or the bottom and "reshape it" if the window tapers...windshields i have done, glass cutter and 80 grit sand paper on a belt sander will do it

If you want glass you could take the old glass make a fiberglass mould of it cut the measurement you chopped out of the car ex. 3". Cut that 3 inches out of the fiberglass and send it to mexicali when Pilkington/E-premier will make you brand new chopped windows

Furthermore if you chop a car the windows will be smaller in total circumfrence......switch means splicing the rear gasket on each side, or possibly use a universal locking rubber like the Grand Wagoneers had in 89. Front windshield moulding would have to be shortened, the doors...etc
                              The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                              BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Working...
                              X