The last Spring, Shock, and Ride Quality post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The last Spring, Shock, and Ride Quality post

Now I am completely irritated. Can somebody please explain how I am supposed to buy springs by ID when the OD is what is used to hold them in? I can't seem to find a single spring that will fit a festiva strut!!!
    HULi ---------------------------------------------------------------------------> Any-where, any-way, any-time.
    "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

I found it!!!
      I hope.
      Just ordered 3in ID 150lb 12in springs from PAC (racingsprings.com). Cost me $130 for the pair, but after going around a turn today and having the rear compress so far that I lifted a front tire, it's worth the guess.

Will report back how they turn out.
      HULi ---------------------------------------------------------------------------> Any-where, any-way, any-time.
      "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

I had that same issue, and an unnerving pop that I hope was just a tire hitting a reflector. I'm seriously interested to know how this works for you.
        In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
        There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
          I had that same issue, and an unnerving pop that I hope was just a tire hitting a reflector. I'm seriously interested to know how this works for you.
          I hope to have the springs by the end of the week and get them on next Saturday. Will take before and after pictures for sure.
          "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

Just got UPS confirmation. Springs will be here tomorrow night!!!

I am going to try and get them on right away with initial ride report.
            "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

Originally posted by Huli View Post
              Just got UPS confirmation. Springs will be here tomorrow night!!!

I am going to try and get them on right away with initial ride report.
              Excellent. Could you take a before and after ride height shot? I would love to see the difference.
              There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

You got it!

Before...

After... and after driving to settle it...

Close up without wheel...

Close up weight of vehicle, not settled...

Close up after settling...
                "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

First impression...

AMAZING!
                  it is a bit high just sitting. Sinks with driver and passenger to perfect as far as I am concerned. I am betting it will settle some more, but the change in handling is night and day.
                  "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

Not bad! Looking good. How much do you think it drops when you get in?

Comment

I looked at that this morning. Filled up the gas tank (was E when I took that pic) it dropped 1/2, then sitting in it dropped nearly another half. It has the stock forward rake, so I am happy.

My goal is to look as stock a possible. Only hinting at performance.

Forgot to mention. The springs only compress about 1/2 inch when installed. So going shorter is a bad idea, they would fall out if you do. If you want lower, going to need to do the advanced mods or sacrifice ride quality for height.

PAC Racing said they have a spring stacker that should work. What you do is buy two different rate springs that total to 12inches (rear) and put the stacker between. Would allow for lower ride without sacrificing travel length or ride quality.

I may try that later with 8 inch 150lb and 4 inch 100lb. Would need to change front out to match. Will have to get crazy with the math to get it right though.
                      "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

Hi. I am new to this site. I have a 1991 Festiva GL, stock, with 69k miles. I have driven the car for the past four years, and wish that I had modified the suspension on the day that I purchased the car.
                        I have an appointment this afternoon with a local tire shop to do a "shake down" and see why my car is making so much "popping + creaking" noise as I drive about. I have read this thread, and would be interested in re-doing my suspension in an economical way. Unfortunately I don't have access to tools or a garage, so I will probably have to have the local tire shop do whatever replacements that I need. I just want to make sure that I can give them some direction as to what to replace the current shocks/springs with, rather than getting a half-hearted solution to my current suspension problems.

The TEIN set-up mentioned by Floydiancomplex sounds like the best way to go. Before I buy Monroe shocks or whatever the local tire shop suggests, I would like to have some advice on how to maximize my dollar as far as the suspension modification goes.

I almost decided to sell my Festiva, then found this website. I would much rather invest wisely and continue to drive it, but enjoy it much more than I have in the past 4 years of stock driving. This is my very first post, and I hope I am not offending anyone with my lack of posting professionalism. Thank you in advance for any direction that you can give.
                        "DORIS": 1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver 71K Miles

Comment

Only 69K miles!
                          If you're not wealthy, not a speed nut nor a gearhead, don't start tampering too much with the suspension right off the bat. More than likely you have worn-out control arm bushings, some loose balljoints and/or maybe even a failing CV (constant velocity) joint on a driveaxle (spinning parts that go from the transmission to the front wheels). New shock absorbers won't hurt your ride but they won't be cheap if you don't install them yourself. Springs themselves lose their tension over time (and 22 years is a long time) plus OEM Festy springs were already soft to begin with.
                          Bide your time, read and participate in this forum (and the search feature) and ask lots of questions before you commit serious cash toward upgrading your car.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Fester View Post
                            Hi. I am new to this site. I have a 1991 Festiva GL, stock, with 69k miles. I have driven the car for the past four years, and wish that I had modified the suspension on the day that I purchased the car.
                            I have an appointment this afternoon with a local tire shop to do a "shake down" and see why my car is making so much "popping + creaking" noise as I drive about. I have read this thread, and would be interested in re-doing my suspension in an economical way. Unfortunately I don't have access to tools or a garage, so I will probably have to have the local tire shop do whatever replacements that I need. I just want to make sure that I can give them some direction as to what to replace the current shocks/springs with, rather than getting a half-hearted solution to my current suspension problems.

The TEIN set-up mentioned by Floydiancomplex sounds like the best way to go. Before I buy Monroe shocks or whatever the local tire shop suggests, I would like to have some advice on how to maximize my dollar as far as the suspension modification goes.

I almost decided to sell my Festiva, then found this website. I would much rather invest wisely and continue to drive it, but enjoy it much more than I have in the past 4 years of stock driving. This is my very first post, and I hope I am not offending anyone with my lack of posting professionalism. Thank you in advance for any direction that you can give.
                            Where are you located? I am sure some members near you could help out alot
                            Last edited by Festevil3; 03-21-2013, 04:40 PM.
                            Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
                            Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
                            Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
                            WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

Thanks Bert, because I don't actually have much serious cash! Great advice.

Comment

Festevil3, I am in Santa Cruz, CA. I am just learning how to edit my profile. I'll add a bit more info, thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                X