Steel wheel goodness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel wheel goodness

Stumbled on this site that makes racing steel wheels.

10 pounds for a 13x5.5" wheel.
    OX SMASH!!

Caution, the site states that their wheels do not have concentric bores and will have to be mounted "lugcentrically." The center bores are stamped and not machined for concentricity.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

lots of cars are lugcentric from the factory, like honda civic, porsche 911 and 914, etc.

hubcentric is a useless thing.

Comment

yeah cause Honda civics are hub centric and it isn't useless. Most tire shops cant balance a wheel if it isn't hub centric cause they need the center hole to mount it to the machine and if it is not machined then it will run out. The lug nuts will hold the wheel in the center cause of the taper on most lug nuts but now instead of just having to deal with a force in one direction from accel or decel of the wheel now the lug studs or bolts also have to deal with all of the forces generated by pot holes and bumps.

Clinton

Comment

I admit I don't know much about this, but it would seem to me that a close fitting hubcentric bore hole would help the lug bolts/lugnuts take those pothole and bump forces that Clinton mentioned and also make spin balancing easier.

Karl

Comment

well if it made a difference, then porsche would probably been hubcentric.

oh yeah, and some subarus are lugcentric. nothing like a bit of off roading to see if lugcentric is srtong enough.

you also dont need a prefect hub cutout to balance a wheel. all it needs is 3 or more built in tabs which are stamped out of the center hole when the wheel is made. which hold it to the steel balancing cone which fits on the shaft o the balancer.

think about this logically guys. you really think companys would make wheels which couldnt be properly balanced? that makes no sence at all.

the only and i said ONLY reason some wheels are hubcentric is because it is alot easier for some old weak women to change a flat when the wheel just pops right on without having to move it up and down and wiggle it around.
            same reason why stupid ideas like lug studs have been for the most part abandoned.

Comment

Yeah well no.

Clinton

Comment

Think about it logically, Why do no modern cars use a lug centric mounting. And last 1,000 I changed a tire the lug studs go through the pattern way before the hub center even makes contact Its only with these festivas (aspires and some VW (Porche, Audi) and a few others that use these silly little lug bolts instead ant to me that is a lot harder to change. I never said that they cant be properly balanced they just can't be properly balanced with out buying the special adapters for the machine or having a hub from the car laying around which most circle track racers have and wheel and tire shops don't. Besides why would you argue the goodness of a heavy ass off road wheel on a street car anyhow. You want light 13" wheels use a set of Honda civic VX wheels and do he aspire brake swap.

Crypto I am not trying to be an ass or anything here so don't get all pissed off. I am not saying that you are wrong I am just saying that I am way more correct.

Clinton

Comment

well, I called the les schwab in town and they said they could mount and balance em for $5 each, free if I bought the tires from them(which I'm not)

And I do think you're wrong on this

These wheels are 10 lbs. Haven't seen alloys that can beat that.
                  These wheels are cheap. only ones this cheap are those FMS ones.
                  I am trying to keep the car low profile, alloys draw attention.
                  These wheels are strong, a lot of cheap/light alloys will bend if you hit a pothole too hard, I have a crappy gravel/boulder driveway off a crappy county road.
                  OX SMASH!!

Comment

my wheels weigh 7 lbs. so if 10 is lighter then I am wrong.

Clinton

Comment

what wheels do you have?
                      OX SMASH!!

Comment

well lets remember, CryptoKid knows everything.... alot more than other people with more experience, training, and/or education than he does... :roll:

Comment

Stock Honda Civic Vx wheels.

Clinton

Comment

Clinton, are those the stamped aluminum wheels?

Karl

Comment

If the vehicle is designed with hubcentric wheels, as the Festiva is, then putting lugcentric wheels on can cause problems with vibration. Many have run into that here before. No point in having people learn it the hard way.

The strength issue is a very valid one. Again, if the engineer speced the lugs to handle loads associated with hubcentric loads, then putting lugcentric loads on them will be putting much more stress on them. There is some "fudge factor" engineered in, but do you really want to push it?

Have you seen the lugs on a Porsche? Do they bear any comparison to the lugs on the Festiva? No, they are friggin' HUGE in comparison. One of them probably has as much strength as all four on the Festiva. Keep in mind that engineers design SYSTEMS. Each part is PART of a system. Overload any one part, and you make it more likely that the system will fail...
                              1990 LX Mostly Stock

1996 Impala SS, Not Stock

Comment

Working...
                              X