REAR SHOCKS: Are Festiva Rear Shocks OR Struts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REAR SHOCKS: Are Festiva Rear Shocks OR Struts

Q. Which term, shock or strut, is correct to use in reference to the rear OEM Festiva suspension ?

Shock.

Why? The shock in the rear suspension of the Festiva main purpose is to dampen spring oscillation (has a secondary purpose of facilitating mounting for the spring ). Neither of these two aspects combined make these a strut in automotive terminology.

A strut is an integral part of the design of the suspension geometry and it's location directly affects wheel position. A shock does not affect wheel position. If I moved the top of the rear Festiva shock over 5 mm, doing so would have no bearing on static camber.

Spring dependency matters not. Shocks with and w/o springs exist, struts with and w/o springs exist also.

Whether a strut or shock is load bearing means nothing in and of itself. The Festiva rear shock is load bearing, being the suspension spring is attached to it; alternating vertical loads mainly, supporting vehicle weight and spring compression ( body roll, suspension jounce and rebound ).

10/21/02
    Rich Norman
    5 Festivas:
    1992 L - Daily Driver
    1993 GL-Off-Road Buggy Subaru EJ20DET
    1988 L - Big Block Ford Pro-Street
    1992 L - Corvette LS7 drivetrain
    1991 L - Parts Car

The sky is blue (i didn't understand a thing you wrote, and was hoping to cause I am having problems with my shocks\struts\whatever)... :?
    I'm here to learn... Teach me

Comment

I call it a coil-over shock.
      Quote from eBay
      "with no knowlege of cars.he,armed only with the skills of an 18th century blacksmith,removed the front axles and wheel bearings,damaging both in the process"

Comment

Working...
      X