Rear Aspire Axle - From Bad To Worse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Aspire Axle - From Bad To Worse

When I pulled the rear axle for my brake swap, the bolt that holds the rear shock in place broke. I'm thinking no problem, just drill down the center an extract. Here's where it gets worse. The drill bit broke off in the center of the bolt. I have tried to get it out but cannot.

Looking for assistance on this one. Can a machine shop do this for me or what type of shop can perform this task?

can u grab on to the srill bit with a vise grip? try a easy out.

Comment

Luck was finally on my side today but it wasn't easy. I ended up cutting the bolt on the side near the axle. Sprayed it with PB Blaster before starting. In the process of cutting the bolt I felt it turn. After getting the shock out of the way I was able to use vise grips to get what remained of the bolt out.

Lessons Learned:

If you ever decide to pull the rear axle for a swap, It's easier to do by removing the shocks from the inside of the car.

Comment

Originally posted by burkster
        easier to do by removing the shocks from the inside of the car.
        Yes is is I went through 2 beams trying to get one off. Finally torched it off. Others cut the other side out if you bust off the captive nut.

Lesson learned = Use lots of PB blaster
        It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Lot's of PB Blaster, lots of patience, maybe a torch, if all else fails, take it to a muffler shop or somewhere with a torch and someone who knows how to use it.

Removing the rear axle by the upper shock bolts will get it off the Aspire, but if you ever want to install new rear shocks, may as well remove your current bolts and reinstall with anti-seize compound.

I ruined one rear axle by bending one side all to oblivion in such a way that it could not be salvaged. It was in great shape rust-wise. The replacement axle had one brake drum that was new looking, but the other one was seriously corroded! I did both sides. What a waste of a good brake parts set! Well, I have extra parts, I guess.

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
          X