Rotten Sway Bar = Vibration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotten Sway Bar = Vibration?

Heya folks. After 11 years, I am still driving my 93 Festiva but lately, after quite a bit of maintenance, I have a pesky steering wheel shake/vibration that is getting irritating. Comes in worst around 66 mph. I know there are numerous threads on here for vibrations/shakes and I have read them all,..believe me. Here is the work that has been done recently:

1.) Struts
    2.) CV axles
    3.) Control Arms
    4.) Rear Shocks
    5.) OUuter Tie Rod Ends (Aspire Swap)
    6.) Front and Rear Wheel Bearings (Aspire Swap)
    7.) Complete Brakes, front and rear (Aspire Swap)
    8.) Tranny replaced (Junkyard item used)

Now,..I am looking for some direction here. My motor mounts are factory originals and the car has 200K miles on it,...160K put on by me personally. The inner tie-rods have also never been touched. Lastly, when doing the Aspire swap, I noticed the ends of the front sway bar were really rotten, I live in Minnesota and our Highway Dept. loves salt. Bushings are rotten too, cracked badly and really mushy, can almost see daylight through the bushings around the sway bar. I would put new bushings in a heart beat but with the sway bar being so rusted, does it make more sense to replace the sway bar and the bushings!? If yes,..where can I get a new sway bar!? Also,..how do you tell if the motor mounts or inner tie rod ends are bad?.

You guys are the pros when it comes to these little cars and it wouldn't have lasted 11 years here in MN without ya. Help me keep it going!!

What do ya suggest I do next to fix the shake!?

Out of balance wheels can cause a vibration at highway speeds. I'm not sure how the sway bar affects that though.

Comment

Yeah,..sorry,..forgot to mention that. Tires are new and recently balanced....rims are Aspire steelies I bought from a junkyard and had checked for out of roundness and/or bends. I have a set of brand new Aluminum 5 spoke wheels too that I had on as well but I didn't have the hub-centric spacers for them so,..I didn't keep them on the car. I put the steelies on there to eliminate any concentricity issues I may have had with the Aluminums.

I have been noticing lately that while I am driving at speed, and I lightly depress the brake pedal, I can feel the shake in the pedal but as soon as put any amount of pressure on the brakes,..the pedel vibration goes away and the shake in the steering remains as it was before. Which makes me think the shake is originating in the hub/wheels somehow,....but where!?..and...it IS all connected.

-Mike

Comment

Did you have the vibration before the brake swap? If not I would start with the bearings on the new stuff! The parts I got from the junk yard had bad bearings which I am swapping out before my install. As far as the sway bar goes it does appear as though it plays an integral role in the front to back movement of the straight bar control arm on the front of the festiva and if you had the shake pre aspire brake mod it is feasible that it could be the cause of your problem. As far as getting a new one good luck because I highly doubt anyone makes them but perhaps someone who lives in a no rust environment (like a desert) could pull one for you and ship it if you were willing to cover the cost. Then all you would need to do is paint it and change bushings. Hope this helps and good luck!

Robert
        1988 Festiva w/ Rear seat removed and hatch area turned into dog cage, window tint, 1100w audio system, stock Carbed B3
        Other addictions: 84 GT Turbo Stang (drifting car), 08 VW Special Edition HD Passat (1 of less than 12 in the US), 2013 VW Golf R, 2001 Silverado 1500 (Slammed)
        Former addictions:03 Cobra, 04 GT Stang (wife's car)

Comment

Yeah, the shake was there before the Aspire swap was done and it didn't change after the swap. I did the rear axle as well. Changing the rims to the tighter fit, concentric, steelies helped, but it didn't eliminate the issue. I didn't want to mess around with bad wheel bearings after the swap so I had new ones installed before I even installed the hubs on the Festiva. I've had a couple sets of wheel bearings, a couple sets of CV axles, a couple sets of struts and shocks, a couple trannies,....this car has been "around the block" when it comes to service.

Comment

Well then alignment, control arm bushings, and swaybar are about all that's left. Let us know.

Robert
            1988 Festiva w/ Rear seat removed and hatch area turned into dog cage, window tint, 1100w audio system, stock Carbed B3
            Other addictions: 84 GT Turbo Stang (drifting car), 08 VW Special Edition HD Passat (1 of less than 12 in the US), 2013 VW Golf R, 2001 Silverado 1500 (Slammed)
            Former addictions:03 Cobra, 04 GT Stang (wife's car)

Comment

I had the same issues as you seem to be having, it was my INNER TIE ROD... Might want to check for play in the wheel by pulling on front and back if there is play that maybe your culprit. -Kyle
              Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

Yeah,..that thought crossed my mind as well. I know for a fact that my inner tie-rods are factory originals from 1993. Korean made and manufactured even....mine is an imported model not the American assembled version. I was digging around under there last night and couldn't feel any movement in the wheel when it's hanging in the air on the jack. However, when stationary, on the ground,...if you jerk the steering wheel side to side,...you can hear, and feel a clunk in the floor near the clutch and brake pedals. I am leaning towards the inner tie-rod ends as well. I plan on doing some more investigation this weekend,...I will let ya know. I am going to do the sway bar anyways,..might as well be thorough.

Comment

Originally posted by wankel303
                  Korean made and manufactured even....mine is an imported model not the American assembled version.
                  I don't think there were any Festiva assembled in the US or Canada :?

As for the vibration... could it be with all that you've replaced that your just noticing vibrations that were always there but were absorbed by the old, soft & mushy bushings?
                  Ian
                  Calgary AB, Canada
                  93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                  59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by wankel303
                    mine is an imported model not the American assembled version.
                    oooh! one of those! ive read about those! very rare indeed... a keeper forshure

:roll:
                    89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
                    RIP 90LX

Comment

Working...
                    X