Brake swap/ man. Festiva vs. Auto. Aspire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake swap/ man. Festiva vs. Auto. Aspire

Just my luck, all the salvage parts in town are off auto tranny Aspire's. My 91 is a Manual tranny. So will my man. drive axles fit in the auto Aspire front brake parts (rotors, etc.)?
    Also from reading on this forum the Aspire rubber brake hoses will connect to the festiva steel lines?
    Does the Festiva e-brake cable work for this swap or do I need the Aspire cable complete from the e-brake lever?

All HELP APPRICATED

the aspire hoses will connect to the festiva hard line, and you will need the aspire e-brake cable. Auto vs manual isnt that big of a problem. The manual is a little bit lighter than the auto stuff but the auto might have a bit extra braking force. good luck
    91GL, 93L, 91L, 92L
    00 f250- xlt 7.3 6speed 4x4
    88 gtx
    74 torino- enduro car.

Comment

It will work OK. You can even use the E-brake cable from the Festiva but you will need to make a small part to connect the two. Mattswabbs cardomain might havea picture of this.
      Brian
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
      :fish:

Comment

For the e-brake adaptor, take some heavy snips or small bolt cutter to the 'yard and cut off two Aspire brake cable ends. Keep the retaining pins and cotters as well. You'll only need one, but if you are going to ruin a brake cable, may as well get two. You may mess up, and if you don't, you'll have another part to use on another setup or to sell someone. You only need to adapt one end of your Festiva cable because the difference is only about 1/2" or less.

Here is what you do, from my memory, which may not be the best, so you may have to make some adjustments to my wisdom:

1. Bend open one cable end connector and take off the cut cable end.

2. Wrap the open end around either a disembodied brake actuator (self-adjuster) lever, or a similarly thick piece of metal with a pin hole drilled in it, and insert the retaining pin.

3. Use a vise or visegrips to smash down the closed end until it is completely flat, but make it so it will still swivel while pinned to the actuator. You can also use a big hammer. You will now have an open end and the smashed closed end, which will fit into your Festiva cable end.

4. Take this off and drill your pin hole at the appointed place. Remember, you only need to make up for less than a half inch for good results. At least that was my experience.

Like I said, this was from memory, and I am not known for excellence in craftsmanship! But it works for me. I also figure that since you are saving the time it takes to remove an Aspire brake cable assembly, minus the time it takes to make this, you'll end up saving around an hour or more. Unless of course, you can find an Aspire that is already gutted, or buy a removed Aspire brake cable ready to install.

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

The rear axle assy is the same rather auto or man. If the aspire is a two door the ebrake will work as is. If a four door the ebrake will be longer.

Just reminber when ordering replacement parts in the years to come which parts to order (auto/man).

David

Comment

Working...
          X