New rear strut spacers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rear strut spacers

There are some (sort of) new performance parts available for your coilover setups! If you saw the ride height post I made a couple years ago you will have seen the delrin spacers Ryal Greenwood uses for best performance with the advanced suspension setup. If you haven't the thread is here and he explains in post #4 what the spacers do.
    Discuss improvements to your Festiva or Aspire in the handling, braking, wheels and tires areas.

Go to the link for all the info but I think I sort of understand what they do so I will try to do a condensed paraphrasing of some of what Ryal said here. Basically they adjust the static droop to be optimal for the rear struts. The upper threaded end of the shock shaft is long, giving opportunity to adjust the shock piston height within the shock tube. This directly affects how much droop (down travel) you get, and to a minor degree the speed of valve initiation and to a greater degree the initial ratio of bump to rebound resistance. The amount of droop is the important thing in this case, as it controls the amount of body roll before lifting the inside rear. For street (full of potholes here)/off-road, you want more droop, hence the spacer under the body, mounting the shock piston shaft as low as possible. There are different positions for different ride heights and setups, Ryal posted lots of photos and 3 scenarios and how to set it up on that forum link -track, street and towing.
    5 sets are available from Ben at the Festiva store right now. $20/ pair plus shipping. $8 is the flat rate shipping so now is the time to order some other little stuff from him that fits in the same box The first 5 people to message Ben saying that they want a set can buy them. Just comment here as well so that others know when the 5 are gone.
    Ben can tally up how many other requests there are in the comments here after a couple days and let Ryal know how many more sets to make. Then the Festiva store should be able to just keep a couple in stock after that. One thing to add- the preload of the rear upper shock rubber mounts of 3-1/2 turns is specified if you are using old shock rubbers which have taken a "set" over the years. 12 to 14 turns will be correct on new rubbers! The original spacers which were 3/4" thick (19mm) are too thick to work well with new rubbers. These production spacers will be 5/8" thick (16mm) and the 1/8" (3mm) aluminum washer replaced with a .050" (1.25mm) steel washer.

If you are new here the festiva store is where you find all the hard to get festiva parts. If you havn't been to the festiva store in a while see whats new:
    The Festiva Store, all things for Festivas, Mazda 121's and Kia Prides. Some products may apply to the protege and other mazda cares as well. Fix your shifter, modify your car through new accessories, or update some parts to make your car run and drive as good as new.

I think rear spindles, shift bushings and stickers are some of the newer items. Those taillight gaskets should fit in the box nicely and if you need front suspension bushings this is the place to get them.

The rear top rubbers are available on rockauto for $5 and amazon for $12 right now.
    Last edited by ryanprins13; 09-13-2019, 01:51 PM.
Working...
X