Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ducked trans, replace or is there an upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ducked trans, replace or is there an upgrade?

Dear FF.com,

what has caused my problem i don't know, but i noticed my trans got harder and harder to shift, i thought well i'll change the oil.

so with the oil drained i realized that there was 'some' oil missing (2/3 the amount there used to be), so i went to investigate.

The conclusion:
    The differential has an enormous amount of play in it, which leads to an axle seal dripping when i wiggle one of the axles (ill make a video and add it asap)
    This also explains the clunking noise after pressing or letting go of the gas.

Enough talking and get to asking:
    Should i replace the transmission with a stock one, or is there an (relatively) easy upgrade? (i have replaced clutches, transmissions etc before, as I'm a car mechanic student)
    I'm now refilling the trans twice a week

I'm currently running the stock b3 but may be in for a swap in the future

thank you guys in advance!
    greetings, JurreJonker

The definitive info on transmissions for the B series engine, such as in the Festiva, was posted by No Name Kid long ago, and updated over time.
    You can find it here

In short, there are many options, but most require you to do some kind of fab work. That may include make new transmission mounts, or a change in clutch, or starter position.
    Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
    Icetiva-3-race-car-build
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

Originally posted by jurrejonker View Post
      Dear FF.com,

The differential has an enormous amount of play in it, which leads to an axle seal dripping when i wiggle one of the axles (ill make a video and add it asap)
      This also explains the clunking noise after pressing or letting go of the gas.
      That sounds like one of the bearings on the diff has failed. It could have also damaged the gear. You could take apart the trans and replace the bearing for relatively low cost, if the diff gears are still ok.
      Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
      Icetiva-3-race-car-build
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

I'm going to contact a car recycling company on Monday, with the help of the sweet interweb i found a replacement for 80 euro's with around 140.000 kilometers (87000 miles) on it, even comes with a two month limited warranty.

Any advise on what to look out for before shooting the bullet?

When i get to switch the transmissions I've figured that while im in there im im going to replace the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing, parts for the car are rather cheap to find,

Comment

Check the input shaft for play

Comment

Managed to get a hold of a - what i think is - good 5speed!
            tkLbOzi.jpg
            Im going to see if rebuilding the old one is feasible, but first i need to look when i can swap them at work, wont be much work but will probably take up my day.

I will update if things progress, thanks for the help guys

(Edit: i put a metal rod with a brush in the diff to keep the spider gear in place)
            Last edited by jurrejonker; 03-04-2020, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X