Putting on my own rubber...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting on my own rubber...

Warning this is gonna confirm my newbie status.

Hey i was just wondering how hard is it to mount new rubber on my stock rims. My stock rims are solid just in really rough shape and i wanted to take the two spares i just got sand blast them primer and paint them and re-tred them, but i was wondering if i could do that all at home with out any special equipment.

Also what kind of paint should i use? or should i shell out the big bucks and get them powdercoated. Mind you i'm In NY now and they use salt and i was told that it would kill the Powder coating?

Any help?

I'd suggest taking them to a tire dealer to get them put on to the rims. Shouldn't cost more than $10 and if they mess up and tear the bead you get new tires out of the deal.
    OX SMASH!!

Comment

Umm.. Do you have a stock Festiva? Why would you want to put spare donuts onto the Festiva? It has skinny enough tires not to mention the fact they are not meant to be driven on for distances greater than to the nearest gas station.. And about putting on "re-treads"? I was not aware they make them for anything but semi's.. And I would never ever think about putting them on a car... Let alone trying to do it by myself... And why would you spend $75 a wheel to powdercoat 12"x4" steel wheels when you can buy a set of 13"x5.5" Konig's from FMS for right around that price? Only shitty tires fit on the stock Festiva wheels... If you are going to spend any money on them besides spray painting, upgrading is the way to go. And if you are trying to improve the handling of your car then upgrading to a larger/wider rim is also the way to go. -Kyle
      Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

There Not Donuts, there extra tires and rims from another festiva. And by re-tred i ment put new rubber on them, not put on retreds.

I've got a guy who can mount the tires on the rims. I just wanted to clean them up till i get the cash for the aspire upgrade. Is there any special paint that i should use? Or will any standard car paint work fine.

Comment

Ohhh ok, sorry I misinterpreted what you meant. There are some nice tires on TireRack.com for the 12's I believe, if not I have a set of 4 basically brand new 145/80/12's on my old rims sitting around if you want... I just used some semi-gloss paint (some sort of rust protection)... I found gloss shows all the flaws in it... But either way, just take your time.. Put more than 1 coat on and you should be fine. There are some pix of mine (Aspire steelies) on my WWW link on my post... -Kyle
          Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

Working...
          X