Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KYB AGX Adjustable struts (for the rear) Installation Update

I have just purchased a set or KYB AGX struts for the rear of my autocross
    car. Below is a picture of that strut next to a festiva GR2 (spring perch is missing from festiva part because I am using coilovers). I wanted some
    adjustability and some extra lowering this strut does both. Overall it is about
    1.5 inches shorter and only loses about 1/4" of the stock travel. What this means is you get a 1.5" drop with almost no loss of travel. The struts have
    8 settings from "cruising to drag racing" i.e soft to firm. I will be running these this season and will update on performance.

Oh as a bonus if you so desired you could use a stock festiva spring on this strut (I test fitted one of my old springs) to lower the car, keep comfy springs, and since they are shorter bodied with same travel you will stay off the bump stops.

This is a direct bolt in application with one exception. The mounting hole
    on the lower eye is about 1/8" bigger than the festiva so a bushing will have to be made or a custom bolt found (fastenal here i come). Also some
    minor relocating (bending) of the rear brake line may be necessary. The top bolt is almost exactly the same as the festiva you can use your stock
    upper strut mount and bushings. Oh and you will have to enlage the hole in
    the bump stop just a bit.

Also: I run RWD offset wheels 3.5" back spacing. As far a interference
    between the tire/wheel and spring perch, sorry but your on your own.
    I figure this mod will mostly be for the AutoXers running the same type
    of wheels and a coilover system. I don't plan on cutting the perches off this set (2 year warranty) but it may be necessary depending on wheel/tire setup.

REMEMBER: These will automatically lower the rear about 1.5" so if your
    using FMS springs you have have almost a 3" total drop. I am using
    coilover bodies with 9" springs 220 LB/IN.
    They are available at Advance for $99 each part number 741033 for a
    1997 Mitsubishi Mirage.

KYB AGX next to Festiva GR2

Shaft Lengths at full extension difference is negligible.

Upper Mounting bolt almost identical even uses the same nut.

Lower Mount with Adjuster on AGX. Notice the difference in hole size this is
    where you need a bushing so the strut doesn't rattle around.

Assembled with coilovers and springs on. Aren't they pretty!

I will update with more pics after final installation.

Good Luck and Happy Tuning Everyone. - Chris
    Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
    - Dennis Grant
    FarNorthRacing.com

those should lower it a bit... i would love to see how much lower it is. pics soon please

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
    1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Thanks a ton.. those will be going on the rear of my autox'r this year.

OK... now find something for the FRONT!!!
      Have had 6 Festys... and counting...

My Website:
      http://www.StanfordMotorSports.com

Car Domain:
      http://www.cardomain.com/id/Quaddawg
      My Garage Page:
      http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/vb...o=view&id=6724

Comment

AGX struts now installed. First ride impressions are excellent. the rear end is much stiffer than before. seems to match my springs pretty well (220 LB). Here are some pics.

This is the strut installed on left rear (you can see #2 in background)

Close up of lower mount, nice fit went right in, did not have to relocate brake line.

Top view of lower mount.

Installed sitting on ground.

View of strut inside rear tower.

Outside view with AGX and coilovers installed

Outside view with festiva GR2 and coilovers installed (about 1.5" drop as I
        imagined.

Spring perch to tire clearance. works great with my wheels/tires not sure about stock or others.

I will update more after the AutoX season starts. - Chris
        Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
        - Dennis Grant
        FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

if the pirch was an issue can you bend it out of the way or maybe trim it with a sawzall?

Comment

So from stock height, how much can you lower it?

Comment

I'd say about a 3" - 4" drop from stock height if I lowered it all the way down. Right now I'd say its about 2" drop. I am also using 9" springs if you used 8" you could go another inch.
              - Dennis Grant
              FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

Looks like good work, Chris!!

You're in Texas, right?

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by floydiancomplex
                  I'd say about a 3" - 4" drop from stock height if I lowered it all the way down. Right now I'd say its about 2" drop. I am also using 9" springs if you used 8" you could go another inch.
                  Is it hard to drop it down? If not..I want to see what 4" looks like

Comment

^^ X2

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                    1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

where did you find the coil adjusters? or did they come with the springs? i have the springs, just need adjusters to complete the swap and can't find any.
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Very eager to see what u can find to fit the front!

Comment

good work! I am always excited to see new things that work on our cars.

Comment

Working...
                          X