Strut Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strut Question

Hope I'm putting this in the right forum. I bought this '92 GL, 109,000 miles, and need to update the suspension.

I don't think I'll be doing a B6T swap or anything in the near future, so we'll say I'm going to keep it realitively low budget stock.

The suspension is solid, ie rack is good(will have to re-boot), half shafts are good(boots are bad on the driver's side, will purchase a new shaft and reboot the old one and use as a spare). Have purchased new control arms, will be purchasing new inner control arm bushing, and will put on new tie rod ends with grease zerts. So, I think that replaces most everything but the sway bar mounts that bolt to the front of the car(not sure the actual name) and my struts/springs.

Right now I'm running stock tires on alloy wheels and will have another set of new tires on stock steel wheels by this weekend. I am planning on swapping to a wider 13" or 14" in the near future. Probably will do the Aspire brake swap along with the larger tires by early this summer.

Okay, all that being said and a picture being painted to show my goals, I need your help on springs and struts.

Would the springs from FMS with the KYB struts be the wisest money spent? Or, would you buy less expensive struts(I found Monroe rears for $36 each) and just use the stock springs? Obviously the 2nd option would be way less expensive no matter the strut price because I wouldn't be buying the new springs.

Just wanted your thoughts. If I'm missing anything, let me know. At $77 an alignment, I would rather put my money in parts and align it once, than to do things twice and have to align twice....seems like a waste of $77 to me.

Thanks,
    Dan "Levitan"
    ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
    #2 .....Cheesehead
    #3 '91 White - Donor Car
    #4 .....Montana Project
    SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
    Bought her back for $450
    Now that's darn near priceless!!

KYB struts are a bit stiff for me. You may want to go with a softer ride.

Remember wider tires mean less gas mileage. I like P155/80/13s. 80 to 89 Mazda 323 wheels will work on a stock festiva.

Go with the Aspire swap if you do not have enought brake.

Unless your CV's are clicking, you can clean them and replace the boots.

You don't need new springs unless they are shot. My springs have 254k miles and are still good. New struts will give you more ride height and spring action.

David

Comment

Working...
    X