• Show
Clear All

• FWD to 4wd

what would it take.. any ideas?

a LOT of skill!!

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

a blazer frame and a welder
      ~Scott

1989 Festiva L EFI

2010 Toyota Prius

Comment

they made a mazda 323 awd vehicle with the b6t what would i have to do to change it. does it involve just teh right tranny and drive tran?

Comment

It could be done if you used a Maxda GTX as a doner and had some serious fabrication skills. It wouldn't just "bolt in".
          Brian
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
          :fish:

Comment

If you have to ask, you probably shouldn't try it.

This is different from asking about little specifics of an almost complete redesign of the car, such as "will the 34mm whatchamacallit fit into the Miata differential widget if I use the BFH and a torch on it while saying my Hail Marys and drinking a Barque's Root Beer?

The second question would indicate you can do it but need a little help on something you're not sure of.

Karl
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
              If you have to ask, you probably shouldn't try it.
              +1

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
              BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
              BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
              New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

*Warning off the wall post to follow* The not mileage friendly option would be to pull an entire front assembly from another festiva. then you cut a hole in the back floor & reinforce it. put second motor back there. bam 4wd woot! do both with manual trans & you would have option for FWD, RWD, & 4WD. as mentioned, the GTX is good donar for AWD, there are a couple AWD MX3s with that setup. and there is the AWD talon

Comment

lostfestiva.

The car would still only be 2wd though because of the darn transmissions only like to power one wheel at a time on these cars :-)

Comment

omg lol

well "real" 2wd is better than "kinda" 2wd right? lol

pikes peak festiva edition!

Comment

you would have to have a complete GTX to do it and you would need to do a ton of cutting and welding to your car man. You'd also need to modify all of your shock towers to use GTX struts as well, and in some states that is illegal.
                      89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
                      94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
                      2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
                      1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

all i gotta say is that if you go and cut up a perfectly good GTX just to make a 4wd festy, i'll hunt you down and smack you upside the head for ruining a great car.
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

In all seriousness, I've thought about this some. The combo between a Justy 4wd (great cars, crap motors) and a festy (great cars, 2wd) could be done somehow. It would indeed take mad skills. Either transplanting the justy running gear, or transplanting the festy motor into the justy, Not sure if the later would much of a festy though?
                          Because....45 MPG.

Comment

a subaru justy it bolts right up
                            I got a ticket for doing a burnout in my fastiva

Comment

The Justy is 4WD and not AWD by the way. What you guys want is full time AWD for better handling. The Justy is FWD until you push the button on the shifter to engage the rear wheels, which is to be used in slippery conditions only, unless you want to damage the transaxle. The only way I can see this as useful is if you want to keep your Festy 2WD but have the ability to turn it 4WD for trail use or to pull you out of that snow storm. Either way, I think it ain't worth is as the Festy is pretty much hard to beat in mud and snow for a FWD...
                              The left lane? Are you crazy!!! I never drive in the left lane...It's full of freaks driving the wrong way and charging right at you!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X