Rear strut tower and Lower Floor Brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear strut tower and Lower Floor Brace

my latest hardware store mods, a rear strut tower brace and lower floor brace.
    I used galvanized pipe and flange mounts, cut to length and threaded (which I
    did myself since the only guy who knew how to use the equipment was off that day).
    About 30 bucks total and they really stiffen up the back end, I can actually feel
    the rear suspension working without any flex.

mounting on the strut tower, 4 bolts with washers run right through the tower.

Lower floor brace runs through both layers of the unibody.

Floor brace running across rear seat footwells.

Close up of tower mounting flange.

enjoy - Chris
    Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
    - Dennis Grant
    FarNorthRacing.com

Thats sweet. Exactly what I want to do. Good Stuff!

-Scott
    Aqua 93 L
    Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
    White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

Thats really cool!
      Can you remove the rear brace if needed just by unscrewing it?

Speaking of braces, i have heard that removing the rear seat is a bad thing because the lower mount acts as a brace? has anyone heard of this??
      If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
      Mark S.

Comment

maybe if i unbolted one side and loosened the other i could unscrew it, but
        it is pretty stuck. I even had to drop the rear struts to run the bolts through,
        so no it is not easily removed.
        Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
        - Dennis Grant
        FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

Maybe if you cut the pipe in th middle and put in a threaded sleeve you could make removal easy and also add a bit of adjustment to it. Just a thought I was throwing around for a home built front brace.
          Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

Looks good Chris.

Where do the nut ends of the floor braces come out? Are they visible on the rocker panels outside the car, or is there an access area underneath the car?

I'm carefully considering all of the work you guys are doing on rear bracing. My plan is to eventually create removeable braces made mostly out of aluminum. That way I can prepare the car for larger/more cargo and have stiffness when I want it, at a minimum weight penalty (not that adding to the rear end is that bad).

I know some people have run rear braces from strut top to strut top, but somehow I don't like that idea. I wonder if that method would put too much stress on the struts themselves?

Thanks for sharing!

Karl
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Ya know, these great pics of your project got me thinking (admittedly, a dangerous activity)... you could build a whole low-tech roll cage with enough flanges, pipe T's and elbows...

Sam

Focustiva: Because I was told it was was impossible to fit a Focus bumper on a Festiva.
              In memory of Dean Allen - V8 Festiva 1955-2010

Comment

I considered that actually but I figured it would cost almost the same amount as
                a 4 or 6 point roll bar built correctly, it would never pass tech anywhere and it
                might be the reason you failed tech.

- safety guy
                the unibody has sort of a monoque (sp?) frame rail running down the length of
                the cabin. the sides are about 2.5" across so the bolts run through both sides.
                you can access the back side by removing the seat belt retractor and reaching
                down inside. no they cannot be seen from outside.
                Last edited by floydiancomplex; 05-07-2008, 11:51 PM. Reason: added paragraph
                - Dennis Grant
                FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

Working...
                X