Capri front brake and hub swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capri front brake and hub swap?

Hi, I've definately found a link on how to do this on here, but all the older links are broken...can anybody give me a list of what to pick up at the junkyard? And I heard a rumor that somebody did a full Capri rear suspension swap to get IRS and disc brakes...any truth to that rumor?

i friends near me(cant remember his board name.) swapped the read disk brakes. im not sure of the modifications made. but he has the all round capri suspension. i think hes selling it too. not running. trying to run it stand alone? not sure. but i know its for sale.

and he has rear disks. il call him up and see if i can take some photos. i havnt seen them in. but i know he told me they were. or he was going to.

Comment

front swap requires calipers, knuckles, and rotors from the capri and ASPIRE lower control arms.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Any updates to this idea? Does it matter which trim level of Capri you use...does it need to be an XR2, or can a regular one work too? My master cylinder started leaking the other day, so I'm due for some serious brake bleeds...might as well make them count!

Comment

shouldn't matter what you use as long as all the parts match the same car (XR2 or non-turbo).

the reason i went with the XR2 brakes was, 1: it was available at the JY, 2: they're bigger than the aspire swap, and 3: they retain the factory bolt pattern.

reminder: you must use aspire control arms!!!

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Do the rotors mount the same way as the Aspire?
            Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
            99 Dodge Caravan SE
            95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
            94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
            78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
            78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
            03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
            95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
            95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
            95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              shouldn't matter what you use as long as all the parts match the same car (XR2 or non-turbo).

the reason i went with the XR2 brakes was, 1: it was available at the JY, 2: they're bigger than the aspire swap, and 3: they retain the factory bolt pattern.

reminder: you must use aspire control arms!!!
              Yep, bolt pattern is a really big consideration for me too. Any idea if the rear suspension from the capri will fit? I hear it's independant...would be nice to get away from the rear beam if there's a way.

Comment

The IRS would be awesome... But I cant see it bolting up
                89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
                RIP 90LX

Comment

no need to get rid if the torsion beam rear, many chassis still use it with great results.

the rotors mount like the festiva rotors do (back side of hub).

Comment

From what I understand, Aspire control arms are unnecessary for Aspire spindles. But now you're saying they are required for the Capri suspension. What makes them different and can they be used with an Aspire swap? Should they?

Comment

My Capri spindles bolted up to the festiva control arms. Haven't road tested it yet though.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

yeah, i dare you to try and put the axles in.... tighter than a bull's arse and it binds the spider gears (not good). granted, i'm using the XR2 spindles/knuckles and there might be a differance between the turbo and non-turbo knuckles that i'm not aware of.

where (what car) did you get your knuckles?

Comment

[QUOTE=FestYboy;yeah, i dare you to try and put the axles in.... tighter than a bull's arse and it binds the spider gears (not good).

So what are you saying here,to use Capri spindles you have to use Aspire lower control arms with Capri axles?
                          Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
                          99 Dodge Caravan SE
                          95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
                          94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
                          78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
                          78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
                          03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
                          95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
                          95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
                          95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

I used XR2 spindles, and the axles go in just fine.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

what i'm saying (so my expieriance with the swap showed me) is that when i placed the XR2 knuckles onto my factory festiva control arms and KYB struts, the axle pushed into the trans enough to lock the spider gears. i'd be interested in seeing how Anomoly did it...

when i did the swap, i rebuilt the knuckles/brakes/calipers before instalation and attempted to put both sides in at the same time. my trial fit with just one side fit perfectly, but when i added the other side, i had binding issues. to resolve the issues, i had to swap in aspire lower control arms. doing so also fixed the positive camber issue as well.

Anomoly, please elaborate on your swap and mods you have done to the swappie.

Comment

Working...
                              X