Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tire Speed Rating: Grip, Weight Issues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Speed Rating: Grip, Weight Issues...

Aside from telling you how fast it can run before it practically blows up, Are there any other characteristics that a tire's speed rating can tell you? Maybe regarding tire grip, weight difference, or wear?
    1998 Kia Pride CD5

the only thing the speed rating tells you, and i mean the ONLY thing, is how fast you can use the tire.

there are some generalisations you can consider, but nothing is absolute or concrete, like a higher speed rated tyre typically will be a bit better built than a lower speed rated one. maybe have stiffer sidewalls, and usually their ability to shed heat is better, but again these are all generalisations and nothing here is set in stone.

Comment

Generally, a tire that has a higher speed rating will also be more handling oriented. It's not a direct correlation, just a fact of life. Sort of the real world vs theory deal...
      1990 LX Mostly Stock

1996 Impala SS, Not Stock

Comment

^ That deal is what got me asking in the first place . Initially, I was thinking that speed rating has something to do with how hard the rubber is and that it's inversely proportional to grip, since theoretically, softer rubber equals more grip (and less endurance). Then I thought it might be the reinforcements inside the rubber that allows you to run it faster, hence the weight issue. So now, I'm overanalysing this speed rating thing. LOL
        1998 Kia Pride CD5

Comment

Working...
        X