Problems ENCOUNTERED in moving to 13" or 14" TIRES AND WHEELS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lasvegascop View Post
    I got 15x6.5...had to put a 1/2 inch spacer in the rear and it looks sweet! The wheels fill the wheel wells perfectly and I got 190/50/15....basically the speedo will show me going 60 MPH but in fact the real speed should be 64 MPH. So making long story short, the wheel height is almost the same as the 12" originals but with more class, less expense and way better ride....

Ski
    I would love to know more about your set up. I've been trying to find 13s and 14s to replace my 12s but having a heck of a time. I would love to run 15s because they are plentiful. What type, if any, mods did you have to do to get these tires to fit? If you have pics would you mind posting some?

Thanks
    '93 Festiva GL / "HOT ROD"
    '02 F-150 Supercrew
    '02 Excursion 4x4
    '98 Jeep Cherokee Classic Limited

Comment

You can use use 15 on my festi I use 15x6½ RTX Falcon 38 mm offset with Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 195/45R15. On the back I use coil spring spreader (to prevent rubbing and to make it harder) and 1/4" spacer. I also have KYB GR-2 front & rear strut and FMS coil spring drop 35 mm. I did not have any problems or rubbing.

BPT, G5M-R, BP26 Exintake swap + Fidanza cam gear, NSRT4 FMIC + 2.5" piping, HKS SSQV BOV, Exedy clutch, 3" downpipe + 2" all the way back, Aspire brake swap, KYB GR-2 & FMS coil spring , FMS EURO body kit + Carbon fiber hood, Falcon RTX 15X6½ + Toyo proxes T1R 195/45R15

Comment

Just put on 13" wheels and 175/70/13 Hankook Studded Snow Tires. Everything seems fine, no issues with rubbing unless there is a heavy load in the back.

Comment

Originally posted by spiko View Post
          Just put on 13" wheels and 175/70/13 Hankook Studded Snow Tires. Everything seems fine, no issues with rubbing unless there is a heavy load in the back.
          I like the idea of the 15s because they are so plentiful. In talking with some tire guru's around here they are seeing the 13s go the way of the 12s. 15s will be around for a while.
          '02 F-150 Supercrew
          '02 Excursion 4x4

Comment

I went to Discount Tire. They ordered my rims from "Unique Rims," Cost me about $200, but it was well worth the money. With tires and all, it was about $459 out the door.

Comment

Guys, you've been very helpful and patient with my questions. I really appreciate that as this is my first time trying to change tire/rim sizes. I do not want to reinvent the wheel.

Okay, I've found a set of Yokahama 165/70/12s at Tirerack.com that can be shipped to me. I called around today and only found one company willing to mount/balance them for me which will add another $60 to the cost of the tires. I asked about 195/50/15s as I called around and all said they are more plentiful online but few companies carry them in local retail shops because the tire wall size is so extremely small. The ones I've talked to really do not want to warranty the tires due to this fact. All that said here are my questions: [1] Is everyone having the same hard time I'm having getting tires mounted and balanced? [2] If not what are you guys doing that I'm not? I had no idea this could be so difficult.
              '02 F-150 Supercrew
              '02 Excursion 4x4

Comment

hey if u go to pepboys there are some pretty nice looking rims that come in the both 4x100 and 4x114.3 dual bolt pattern and there only $49 each, i already have them ordered. could i run a 185/60r14?
                (GONE)88 Festiva LX 5 Speed, Factory A/C, Factory Tow Hitch, Tach.
                95k Original miles
                New: Tires, Axels, Front Wheel Bearings, Fuel Pump, Valve Cover Gasket, Carb Rebuild, Timing Set, Belts, Shoes, Distributor, CapRotor, Wires, Plugs, Coil, Grant 11" Steering Wheel, 3700 Watt Stereo System-6 1/2 Infinity speakers, Infinity tweeters, Almani 12" subs

Comment

yes, but the rear will rub unless you have the aspire rear struts. the pepboy rims don't have the propper offset (14 and 15" rims only).
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                  X