Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has any one changer there rear axle beam bushings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has any one changer there rear axle beam bushings?

i was just wondering if anyone has replaced the bshings that go between the chassis and the rear end? i just bought a set of high derometer from fms. im cleaning up an old aspire rear beam and i decided to take the old bushings out, what a pain in the butt! how are you suppose to get them out? i tried to burn them but wasnt getting any where then i drilled small holes to break the rubber and finally they came out. my question is how do i get the new ones in? is there a way i can do it my self? i moticed when i tool the old ones out it is not smooth in hole where the bushing are in, i used a wire brush to get some of the rust off and smoothed it out a little with some sand paper i had a few scar marks where i hit with the drill bit. should i make it real smooth in there? i imagine you want it to be a sng fit i did por 15 the inside to seal it up. any suggestions well i have it all apart? thanks!

Maybe if you freeze them like pilot bearings to get them to shrink up some, then spray with silicone spray right before installing? Just a thought.
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay View Post
      Maybe if you freeze them like pilot bearings to get them to shrink up some, then spray with silicone spray right before installing? Just a thought.
      good idea there! if you have access to a press i think that help a lot as well

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I pulled one out of the aspire rear beam before I swapped it in to try and see if I could find one similar in size through Energy Suspension. I used a some grease and a big c-clamp to push it back in.

I tried using our arbor press, but it was just to akward holding the whole beam up to press it.
        Previous owner of a '89 Graphite L, 4spd, GL Seats, Aspire Brakes, 14x6's, 185/60/14's

Comment

Freezing works well for bearings but plastics depending upon how cold you get them and the composition of the plastic they could crack/shatter.
          As we have been driving these for many years in the US, as well as Canada, where ambiant temps are well below freezer temps you should be OK, but if you have access to something colder(dry ice, liquid nitrogen, etc.) I would not use it!
          Silicone or almost any lub should be fine.
          But do not use too much, you just want to coat the surface and maybe the hole in which it goes.
          Too much silicone or other lub can be absorbed by the bushing and swell it, making it nearly impossible to properly insert it!
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

OK, it was just a thought. Good thing we have a plastic guru here!
            Brian
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
            :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay View Post
              ... Good thing we have a plastic guru here!
              Quite literally, it is my job!

I still think it a viable option just don't over due it!

You know how it goes; "a little freezing is good, so liquid nitrogen would work great"!

Heck, I didn't even know you could get those bushings let alone that you could get them in high durometer!
              Last edited by Pu241; 07-04-2008, 01:10 PM.
              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
              Your holy ghost will not save you.
              Your God plutonium will not save you.
              In fact...
              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

what about the cylinder that its pressed into, like i was saying mine looks like a rough cast not even smooth inside should i smooth it out a little? as of now i just coated it with por 15 but im affraid that jagged rouch casting may eat te bushing?

Comment

It doesnt matter that its rough.... the pivot is in the bolt/sleeve, not in the bushing to arm contact area.
                  Previous owner of a '89 Graphite L, 4spd, GL Seats, Aspire Brakes, 14x6's, 185/60/14's

Comment

Working...
                  X