Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake job!

Hey folks,

I am a new member and i just bought a ford festiva.. its an 89, auto, 115K almost new condition... got it for 800 cdn... all it needs is a brake job; front and back and also a windshield...

I have been researching about the brake job on this site for the past week and have come to the conclusion that i am not going to touch the front as its a PITA & complicated... But i am going to be doing my drum brakes sometime next week...
    i have already got the parts, ie, drums, shoes, bearings, seals, hardware kit, and wheel cylinders.... I also bought the Haynes manual....
    But the prob is i got no tools, i was wondering what tools do i need to do this job... I just need bare min tools, as i am not financially very sound at the moment....

I am located in Lethbridge, and i think REDNECK1 is from leth as well... call out to him, if he will be able to give me a hand with it...

i will be uploading more pics soon...

cheers,
    G

If you plan on doing rear breaks and bearings how did you conclude that the front pad replacement is complicated?
    I'd rather do 4 pad replacements than a single rear bearing/brake shoe job!
    Why replace the rear cylinders?
    Are they leaking?
    If not just flush the system with new fluid, being careful not to snap off the bleed screws.
    For the front pads you need some high temp grease, 2 pair of pliers(needle nosed and regular), and maybe a punch and small hammer (if the brake pad pins haven't been removed lately and were not cleaned and greased.
    New pads would also be useful.
    Quick procedure:
    1)use needle nosed pliers to remove clip securing pins that hold pads in place.
    2) remove Top pin from caliper assembly. Might have to drive it out from back side with punch and hammer if it will not buge with regular pliers. remove pad separator spring.

PS
    Edit your profile and place your location in it so you wont have to continuly answer "where are you located?"
    3) remove lower pin
    4)pull out old pads
    5)reinstall new pads is reverse of 1-4.
    Note if brakes haven't been serviced then corroision will make every step more difficult than it should be. When reassembling use new parts were possible and clean and lub old ones before re-assembly!
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

sorry, i should have been thorough in my post....
      I got the car inspected before i bought it and the front pads and rotors have about 10% left... and changing the rotors is a big deal on this car... which is why i wanna get it done professionally...

The rear cylinders are not leaking but they are were pulled out, somehow (i cannot explain but one end was real loose) which in turn lead to wearing of shoes on one side!!

Another question i have is, today, when i went to get the parts, i asked the guy for some anti-sealing spray/liquid.. and he said that you should not put anything in the brakes, just let them be.. as all the liquids/greece attract dirt and nonsense stuff and results in a mess... Any thoughts on that...

I should also mention that i am a NOOb & this would be my first time ever working on the mechanics of the car... I am quite excited actually..

Comment

Hey goodbabbu, good to see you are up and running !!! Welcome to the site !!
        sigpic
        The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
        https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
        Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Remember to CHECK YOUR BALL JOINTS when you get the front end up in the air. Use a prybar and do it yourself. I've had places tell me my BJs were fine when they weren't!

Good luck and welcome!

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
          X