Aspire swap-Parking brake cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire swap-Parking brake cable

Hey, I just got my parts for the Aspire swap, and even though I ask no to cut the handbrake cable, the guy did... I've called NAPA, and they don't sell those; they tried every parts furnisher they knew, but no luck, and I'm pretty sure my Ford dealer will tell me it's discontinued. Can't find it on Rockauto.com either. I need the cable that goes from the handbrake handle to the cables on the beam. Won't the Festiva's fit???
    The left lane? Are you crazy!!! I never drive in the left lane...It's full of freaks driving the wrong way and charging right at you!!!

Festiva's works fine... who told you otherwise?

the cable from the aspire 2dr, 4dr, and festiva are all the same.
    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Actually... I'm pretty sure that the Festiva cable is too short and requires SOME sort of extension. At least, that's what I've always heard.

I'd shoot for the junkyard. I need to get a new one for myself the next time I go out (maybe this weekend!), as the one I have now only pulls the passenger side brake... :-P
      Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

yes the festiva cable is a little short it's like driving around with the e-brake bearly on it's not a good idea....

Ford Festiva L
        Automatic

Comment

I've heard there's an easy fix for it... I don't know where that thread ran off too though.
          Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

thats interesting... when I did my swap I thought i lined them up and they were exactly the same, any info on what part is shorter? the part from the brake handle to the beam, or the pieces after the "Y"?
            ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
            91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
            1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
            2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

i used the festy cables all the way to the beam
              Neil

Jesus loves me. This I know.

93 L track prep in progress
              88? Parts car-sold
              91 L B6-me f25mr-soon to be ???
              86 b2000- pisses of HOA-sold
              1997 k1500 suburban- kid hauler/GAS hog

Comment

:S I hope the festiva cable will work.. I just payed 140 bucks for a brand new one from the dealership..

Comment

it's after the Y where it spits

Ford Festiva L
                  Automatic

Comment

Originally posted by skeeters_keeper View Post
                    Festiva's works fine... who told you otherwise?

the cable from the aspire 2dr, 4dr, and festiva are all the same.
                    Well, from what I understood in the how-to on this site, you need the Aspire's e-brake cables. Anyways, here's a pic to show you which cable is cut on my beam and where:

The ones going to each drum are intact though. So, is it a go or no-go with the Festy's main cable?
                    The left lane? Are you crazy!!! I never drive in the left lane...It's full of freaks driving the wrong way and charging right at you!!!

Comment

when i did my swap i put on all new brake shoes and when i tried to use the festiva cable, the part that goes to the drums is too short, so i had to use the aspire cable, to me it makes sense that if your using the aspire brakes you should use the aspire cable

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

the festiva cable works. i just hooked my festiva cable back up (after yanking it out only to realize that the aspire cable that i got w/ my rear beam was broken in a place that prohibited it from being used) and it seems to be fine. if something doesnt reach, etc...people may want to make sure that the tension is adjusted at the middle of the beam or even at the front up where it attaches to the e-brake handle.

UPDATE:
                        im actually going to amend the above to say that the cable MAY work. its on but so is the light that says my e-brake is on. the cable fits but the adjustment screw/bolt at the handle only allows you to tighten the cable as your pads wear.

is the only place where you can give it slack at the middle on the rear beam? or is there somewhere else that im missing? it may be moved further towards one wheel or the other on each car. honestly, this rear set-up is a very poor design in my opinion... the one and only difference between the festy and aspire cable may be this mounting point. it may work if your brakes are worn down enough but not with new pads. im going to stay on this and keep everyone updated as i sort this out.

in regards to the center mounting tabs distance from each wheel, does anyone have a festy and aspire axle that they can compare?

UPDATE #2
                        was at the yard and picked up an aspire cable. layed it on the ground side by side w/ the festy one. the driver side cable appeared to be about 1/2" longer on the aspire vs the festiva. the other side (when pulled tight) appeared to be the same length. they are so close in length that im not sure what to say. my e-brake light is still on so that must have to do with something else/the rear brakes needing to be adjusting or something...or a faulty switch since there are no sensors in the drums or anything like that.
                        Last edited by micah; 10-31-2008, 11:50 AM. Reason: update

Comment

Working...
                        X