steering troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering troubles

The steering on my festiva "pushes" when in a curve. You know , you turn the wheel, but the car wants to keep going staight. other than a front end alighnment, are there any other things I can do to stiffin up the front end?
    '89 Isuzu Trooper
    '98 Toyt Previa

Does this have to deal with the vehicle you and you dad turned in to a truck?

If so...
    I'm not 100% sure (someone on here will say something if I'm worng) but it might have something to do with the new weight distribution due to the fact theres less weight on the back end. I know it sounds wierd thinking of the back end when you have a problem with steering in the front of the car but I remember something like this happening when I used to race 1:10th scale nascars in a semi-pro legue.

One thing that might help, if your willing to spend the money, is to go with a different spring rate. Again I'm not 100% on this but I'm sure someone on here will be glad to help you out!
    1990 Festiva
    - 5 spd. swap
    - B6 SOHC swap
    - Custom Interior
    **********Currently Under MAJOR Reconstruction ************

Comment

It's kind of a general question. I am talking about the truck here, but I've driven many festivas over the years and this seems to be a common problem. I saw a civic one time with a bar bolted to the tops of the struts. Is there enough flex in the chassis to where that would help?
      '89 Isuzu Trooper
      '98 Toyt Previa

Comment

That peice is called a strut bar, Festiva Motorsports makes one for the festiva. I guess it all depends on how hard your taking corners.

If your in to Auto X your definately gonna want one!

I've noticed my car pushed alot right now because I have Coil overs on mine and stock 12" tires. I'm moving up to a set of 14" tires next year with low profile tires. I believe that will help not only with a lower profile but a much wider foot print from the tire.
        1990 Festiva
        - 5 spd. swap
        - B6 SOHC swap
        - Custom Interior
        **********Currently Under MAJOR Reconstruction ************

Comment

learn how to drive...

pushing is due to too high of an entrance speed before the transition (which ever direction you're trying to turn). all cars can 'push', but FWD are notorious for it do o the extra weight in the front end IN FRONT of the front wheels. it creates alot of inertia and the front tires can't cope.

the festivas don't really need the strut bar seeing that the strut mounts areso close to the firewall. if, once you learn how to drive, are still having a 'push' issue, stiffen the rear suspention, and put more tire up front. this will help the car rotate through the turn. also you can help your car turn by setting it up BEFORE the turn so that the weight transfer is such that your tires can use the extra grip durring braking to initiate the turn (turn in).
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Cool festyboy, very nice... but now he's ready for you to tell him about left foot braking too!
            97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
            CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
            Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by dacusville5 View Post
              The steering on my festiva "pushes" when in a curve. You know , you turn the wheel, but the car wants to keep going staight. other than a front end alighnment, are there any other things I can do to stiffin up the front end?
              Take a look at your suspension components. Look at the sway bar bushings in the front and where the sway bar intersects the lower control arm. If the rubber on these is deteriorating you will want to replace the worn with new. Check your front strut mounts as well. You can find high durometer components for most of the items I mentioned above.
              90 Festiva with Brand new B3, 5spd
              92 B6 Festiva, 5spd
              94 Mustang DSS 331, Vortec S-Trim, 5 spd
              94 Mustang GT, stock, automatic

Comment

Originally posted by iceracerdude View Post
                Cool festyboy, very nice... but now he's ready for you to tell him about left foot braking too!
                all in due time, my friend, all in due time...
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                X