Aspire vs Festiva rear brake lines...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire vs Festiva rear brake lines...

the aspire lines obviously mate fine to the aspire rear hard lines and work well with the point where the retaining clips hold the soft lines. however, im having trouble with where the soft lines hook up to the hard lines on the body/festiva side.

the metal end of the brake line is a different size than the festiva and if you put it into the metal part where the retaining clip goes and try and tighten the flare nut, the soft line just ends up spinning.

what have you guys done to solve this problem? just use vice grips to hold the soft line? -- id rather not do this if i didnt have to. or can the tabs be bent in? -- i was attempting this but they seem really sturdy and i didnt want to mess anything up before getting some feedback. or is there another option im missing?

thanks.
    Last edited by micah; 10-30-2008, 08:08 PM.

I don't recall having any problems with either of my two swaps. On my first one I reused the JY Aspire hoses. On my second, I bought new Aspire hoses all round. Sorry I can't help!

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I just did that couple days ago!! What I did is, tighten the lines together using the 10mm and I believe 17mm?(dont quote me on that one) but do all that before you slip the clip on.
      Yes, I've noticed the same thing. Its in the front too so tighten them up before you clip em. I hope this helped?
      Ski

1986 Ferrari Testarossa
      2002 BMW 745i
      2002 BMW 325i
      1989 BP'd Festi :p

Comment

the lines (both hard and soft) werent with my rear setup and i went to the junkyard and pulled hard and soft lines from an aspire so i know they are the correct ones. hmmm....weird.

anyone else?

(you must have been typing at the same time as me practically...haha.)

the only issue with that is that one side of the brake line has a rounded edge. guess that may be my only choice. just hope nothing strips....thanks.

im still looking for other alternatives if anyone has one? i.e. if bending the clips on the bracket is possible....
        Last edited by micah; 10-31-2008, 10:29 AM.

Comment

trust me...it worked perfectly for me....

I clipped it and hoping to never unclip it again hahahahah
          Ski

1986 Ferrari Testarossa
          2002 BMW 745i
          2002 BMW 325i

Comment

haha...yeah, thats my concern as well!

im going to work on the front in the mean time so if anyone found another solution id still like to hear it before i resort to plan b.

Comment

used a 17mm and a 10mm flare wrench. not terribly difficult (if it was at all it was only b/c of the brake fluid all over my gloves!) and everything seems to be holding nicely.

thanks!

Comment

Still need to do the front however...

guess I was lucky, I didn't notice anything doing what I'd done to fit the '97 Aspire a/t rear axle to my '91 Festiva 5-speed; April of '07...
                Last edited by bobstad; 11-01-2008, 11:59 PM. Reason: correct date "April of '97" to " '07"
                '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

Originally posted by bobstad View Post
                  guess I was lucky, I didn't notice anything doing what I'd done to fit the '97 Aspire a/t rear axle to my '91 Festiva 5-speed; April of '07...
                  Brilliant!!! hahahaha

Told ya.....ccasion5:
                  Ski

1986 Ferrari Testarossa
                  2002 BMW 745i
                  2002 BMW 325i

Comment

I had same problem on both my swaps

Comment

Working...
                    X