Coilover conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coilover conversion

Ok guys, I'd like your opinions on an idea I have. I'm wanting the best suspension setup available. I know the new teins don't come with full adjustability. So my next best idea is retrofiting a coilover set from a Mirage. The rears should fit with a spacer in the lower bolt. And I would have to drill two holes for the top mount. As for the front, the bottom should bolt right up, as far as I know. And for the top I will have drill 3 holes for the new top mounts. These coilovers include camber plates as well.

Any thought or comments?
    Last edited by BUSTIVA; 11-15-2008, 04:06 AM.
    '93 BP-T 57trim TO4E - Coilovers - 13x7 steelies - 175/60 - 48k mi

I've been told by another member on here that mk3 vw coilovers work.
    93-1.6l
    f.s.- fms bodykit.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I looked at them and they do appear to be direct bolt in, and are alot cheaper than the Mirage coilovers.

Comment

there was also a guy on here I think who could get the teins in for $650 which I thought was a good deal. but crossing the border and canadian dollar is the kicker. post up pics and info with your install.. prob. my next mod after I get the performance all sorted.
        93-1.6l
        f.s.- fms bodykit.

Comment

you also need to mill the knuckle down a little to slip the front struts over the 2 bolt holes. as far as caster camber plates we need to find something.....are there any machinist on this site with some free time????? Brian just bought a set for 250 i know some people would pay (me) for a set of caster camber plates to have full suspension adjustability

Comment

I'm buying the mk3 coilovers set. I will post a how to, with pics of the install.

Comment

what brand is it and how much did it cost?

Comment

Here's the link. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...1%7C240%3A1318

Comment

I hope the spring rates don't make you pee blood. vw's arent known to be a lightweight vehicle. i heard even the honda hatches are very stiff.
                  1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

yea i looked at those and the spring rates were the only thing that had me concerned. i currently have a $25 ebay set of universal springs with a rate of 400lbs/in and the thing is insanely bouncy.

Comment

Yeah, I have the same set up too, but the dampening ability of the new coilovers will stop the bounce and slop, but will be just as stiff. I like the super stiff spring rates, but when you run them on a stock shock it is just stupid bouncy!

Comment

yea i know the shocks will damper the bounce a lot but its still a painful ride for long distances

Comment

Cool! Let me know how it goes! I'm really interested on how it rides! how long till you get them in? I have money for that right now and if it works out I might do it, its that or put my jeep on the road lol
                          1990 Festiva
                          - 5 spd. swap
                          - B6 SOHC swap
                          - Custom Interior
                          **********Currently Under MAJOR Reconstruction ************

Comment

I'm going to buy them tomarrow, but wont be able to put them on for a month because I'll be out of town.

Comment

Did you ever get to do the swap?
                              Ian Carr
                              88' flat black festy, has an e-brake that works!
                              99' S70 T5M- faster DD
                              86' 951- almost ready for track season

My old b6t- wish i still had it
                              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2241793

Every car I have owned has had a turbo in it, until I bought this latest festiva.. I plan to fix that though.

Comment

Working...
                              X