Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross drilled rotors

Hello all,

What would be the pros and cons of cross drilling stock Festiva rotors? I picked up a pair of brand new ones that had never been installed for next to nothing. Someone bought them and left them in their car before they sent it to the wreckers! Probably didn't realize that the whole steering knuckle would have to come off!!

What would be the best way to go about the drilling? Would the holes have to be chamfered?

Thanks

Ian
    92 GL Sport
    Calgary
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

on a street car, theres no real rain at all. only the bling factor, which if you have the right wheels, cross drilled can be made to look real good.

Comment

From what I've heard it's not that effective. It takes away from "swept area" because where the holes are there is no rotor metal for the pads to push against. The cooling is nowhere as effective as true "vented rotors."

After suffering with old Festiva brakes on my '89L I was so happy with the huge improvement with the Aspire brake conversion. Also, I'm pleased that the stock brakes on my'93GL are actually pretty good and solid.

Spend your time and money on either the Aspire brake conversion (which gives you larger vented rotors up front and over 1" bigger diameter rear drums) or buying premium brake pads for your nearly new stock rotors.

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
      X